Anyone mounted a camera on a telegraph/power pole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like many in rural properties we have utility poles on our property. I am well aware that these are not our poles and that if I stuck a CCTV camera on one, the owner is at liberty to remove it.

So I'm only asking, if anyone has done it anyway and if so if they got any grief? I would possibly imagine the company engineers are too busy and it's only if they had to climb a pole they would care. The power-grid boys do inspect our line for overhanging branches but they didn't seem to care we had a mirror attached to one for several years!

Anyone chanced it?

Sponsored Links
You may be OK ( as in no actions taken if discovered ) if the camera is battery operated and has a wireless link for the video.

If you have a valid reason for having a camera located on the pole then ask the pole's owner if they will offer you a wayleave. They will insist that whatever is attached to the pole cannot affect the way they use the pole and creates absolutely no risk of harm or damage to the pole or to personnel working on the pole.

A bit of online research seems to suggest there is no way at all anyone will grant permission, you'd be better going ahead and removing it if asked - or risking them remove it if the pole needs work.
If they would demand removal simply doing their annual drive-by it's not much point, if it would survive until they next need to climb the pole it might be a decade!

Sponsored Links
we have utility poles on our property.

Just noticed that, There may be a wayleave already in existence for these poles to be on your property. If there is then you might be able to use that to get support a request for permission to attach a camera

easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
Kind of my thought for a £50 camera. I can't see a more serious outcome than it being ripped off or me getting a letter, I have seen people online claiming the company will have to do a "safety assessment" that a couple of little screws hasn't made it too dangerous to climb but FFS.

I don't really want to use it but it's not only such a handy thing, it's in exactly the right spot so that if I put my own pole in, theirs would be blocking the view!

Kind of my thought for a £50 camera. I can't see a more serious outcome than it being ripped off or me getting a letter, I have seen people online claiming the company will have to do a "safety assessment" that a couple of little screws hasn't made it too dangerous to climb but FFS.

Use a tiewrap or several in series the go round the pole, the attach camera to that, no damage and nothing permanent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back