Anyone recommend a pin and magnet set for finding studs and joists?

About to do a similar job meself and fortunately I have a Powerfix multi detector which I bought from Lidl a few years ago for £10 which will do studs, cables, pipes and "deep" (meaning large cavities). I have heard some say that they don't work but that is not true and almost always because the battery power is low or the bloke concerned has not followed the instructions properly. Mine easily found the 3 inch timber studs when HID asked if I could stick something a bit heavy on the wall yesterday. A whole lot easier than fiddling about with magnets. This looks similar to the one I have: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-in-1-M...992777?hash=item215bea26c9:g:LIwAAOSwGJpc8TaL

I've got one of those and as far as these things go it 'does' seem to work most of the time - the stud function and deep functions are the least reliable but the metal and current detection features work pretty reliably - when trying to locate studs I normally use the stud function, then the metal function to confirm. At £10 I figured it was worth a punt and it was.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back