Anyone used a microwave to switch your lights/extractor on ?

JSD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Look, one of these things....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microwave...7808?pt=UK_Light_Fittings&hash=item35bfcf4210

What I want to happen , is when someone walks in the door, the 2 wall lights come on , and the extractor / shower light too......

Pro's or con's . Any feedback on these devices ? Or will it just fry your brains out ?

I like the idea of a sensor triggering it all, and as you can hide this above the ceiling, it seems appealing .

TYIA

:)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've used PIR's/motion sensor/microwave(???) to control the fan in a bathroom before now, especially in community housing schemes and they've worked well.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for feedback. I'll be putting it on the to do list ....

I also like the idea of people going in the bathroom and thinking,

' how the hell did this lot fire up..... wheres the damn switch......? '

:p

lights on... lights off... lights on ... lights off... wheres the damn switch ...?!

As far as safety goes there is no power output listed so can't really say. Used with portable traffic lights for years. First saw them in the 1970's work on the dopier effect.

Likely no worse than mobile phone however there have been some concerns with them. I was testing microwave cookers and quite a few were failing including some new ones. Then I found it was my mobile phone not the microwave causing the meter to show failure.

In the Falklands on the RADAR sites only women were allowed on the top of the containers as it seems it could sterilise men. So don't carry your phone in your trouser pocket. Point is how would anyone today know what was causing the problem? There are just too many devices so as long as fitted to manufacturers instructions then really no problem.

Seem to remember fitting them to toilets in shops so people could not hide in the toilet when the shop closed. Used so people would be unaware they were fitted and would see into cubicles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back