anyone with giffgaff for their mobile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just curious to know whether anyone has switched from another mobile provider to giffgaff and whether they kept their mobile number, and whether it makes a difference to their internet speed? I think I've got 2g at the moment which is total gash, and was hoping that an upgrade to 4g will make enough difference. I don't use the phone much, except it comes in handing for checking trade websites, checking prices etc.

Info appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Just curious to know whether anyone has switched from another mobile provider to giffgaff and whether they kept their mobile number, and whether it makes a difference to their internet speed? I think I've got 2g at the moment which is total gash, and was hoping that an upgrade to 4g will make enough difference. I don't use the phone much, except it comes in handing for checking trade websites, checking prices etc.

Info appreciated.

isnt giffgaff owned by O2? -so you would get whatever O2 does

Didn't know that.Checked online and apparently I can keep the number, just need a PAC number and to order the SIM first. Still toying it over, but checked the coverage for the 4g nationwide and it's everywhere I need it to be. More minutes and more internet bandwith a month for 50pence cheaper than what I pay currently, with ee.

Sponsored Links
Is it worth it for 50p?
I get fairly good service from 3.
I was with them pre 4G and when they went 4G, we didn't pay any extra.
I use 321 PAYG. Just top up a tenner or so every month, but you can obviously get SIM only deals.

3p min voice, 2p text and 1p per MB data.

You can also stick with PAYG and buy "Add-ons" where you put credit on then convert it to a package of data, minutes and texts.

May be worth a shufty.

What I'm unsure of is whether it's my phone that causes lag on the net or the network I'm on. I suspect it's the network because when I hook the phone up to wifi indoors the internet is generally stable.

I bought a 3 SIM and put a fiver on it and used it for a week or three to see what it was like in all the areas I frequented before committing to port my number over.

That's a point actually, I could buy the sim and do that, but then there may be a problem transfering the old number over if I do that. Things like this aren't generally too kind to me.

You won’t be on 2G. There won’t be a problem 'porting' your number as long as you are not still 'in contract'. First thing to check though is whether your phone is locked to your existing provider. As long as it isn’t, get a pac number from your existing supplier (they’ll offer you all sorts to stay), it costs nothing and lasts 28 days. Get the sim from your new provider, make sure you’re happy with the service and then anytime within the 28 days, just phone up your new provider, give them your pac number and phone number and they’ll sort it out. If you go over 28 days before porting, you just have to get a new pac number.

3p min voice, 2p text and 1p per MB data.

Ouch, you're possibly paying through the nose Secure, but if you're only topping up a tenner or so a month, then I suspect you've got a low usage. Giffgaff would give you 250 minutes and a gig of data for £7.50 a month, and Tesco were doing a similar price last month, but it only gave 500mb. But the beauty of these low cost monthly plans, is that you don't have to top up at inconvenient moments.

I use 321 most of the time as I use very little of anything. It's only on holiday or when I am in hospital that I use loads of data: I watch Netflix etc then.
When I first moved to 3, all you can eat data was just £15 month.

You won’t be on 2G. There won’t be a problem 'porting' your number as long as you are not still 'in contract'. First thing to check though is whether your phone is locked to your existing provider. As long as it isn’t, get a pac number from your existing supplier (they’ll offer you all sorts to stay), it costs nothing and lasts 28 days. Get the sim from your new provider, make sure you’re happy with the service and then anytime within the 28 days, just phone up your new provider, give them your pac number and phone number and they’ll sort it out. If you go over 28 days before porting, you just have to get a new pac number.

In the future there is speak of them changing the way you get the PAC number, apparently it will be automated.

Sponsored Links
Back