Anyway to upgrade wallstring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a house that was built in the 60's. I'm probably way overthinking things at the moment, but one thing that is bugging me is the wallstring on the stairs. It's been poorly painted. Probably get 12+ layers of paint on it from over the years, and it's looking a little dated.
Now, I know you can't just replace wallstring. But I've known of people who've had covers and such over similar wallstrings. But I can't for the life of me find anything on Google about it. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I had the exact same thought we I bought my house and ours' is a few decades older than the 60s. Original wall string bumpy and covered in paint; in some places peeling off. Walls have also been re-skimmed in the past and bits of it slopped onto it too.

My plan is to spend a long time sanding down until flat, then re-painting.

you cant buy them as far as i know
we have to make them for concrete stairs usally out of mdf once you have a template for one of the steps its very simple even for a diyer

we use 6mm plain or veneered for covers as to not stick out in front of skirting to much

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Use a heatgun, and scrape the paint off. The string is an integral part of the stairs, so you can replace the stairs in their entirety, but not the strings on their own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back