Re-flooring cheap staircase - advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Am just about to rip up my old stair carpet and was thinking of leaving exposed wood - trouble is the wood used to build the stairs, though sound, is very cheap and nasty. An electrician mate of mine told me he'd been working in a property with a similar staircase where the owner had done a lovely makeover job by putting a laminate layer on the going of each stair with a bullnose over the end (so as not to reveal a cut-edge). he'd then painted the risings white. Apparently it looked great combined with LED lights coming in from the side of the stairs.

Well, it sounds good to me but wondering how feasible this is, how long-lasting it might be, and what degree of skill would be required (I've put in a kitchen and bathroom before but am not exactly a carpenter). I'll be doing similar lights too - with the final wiring done by my electrician mate.

I've had a look round on this site and elsewhere and the concensus appears to be to not use paper/vinyl wrapped wood as it'll wear too quickly, use solid wood. I may well carpet the middle of the stairs afterwards with stair rods to hold carpet in place. There also appears to be several proprietary nosings available on the market - does anyone have experience of these?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
quite possibly, but next door has done it and it looks damn good! Modern house so the style suits - at least that's my opinion! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back