AOL 9.7 freezing (fixed, 64bit to 32bit)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Windows 7 64bit laptop

Upgraded from AOL 9.5 to 9.6 and the freezing started.

Upgraded to 9.7 and freezing persists.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Google 'aol freezing in win 7' and there are over 140,000 results!!

Did it also update or install any new internet protection suite / antivirus? It could be a conflict with that and your existing AV software or firewall.

Agreed with the others though. AOL is so 90s. Upgrade to something proper.

Sponsored Links
Whatever you lot may say about aol I have been using the same email address for the last 25 years unlike most!

Problems tonight though!

The freezing problem started to effect IE and Firefox so I formatted and reinstalled OS and all software including AOL 9.7 and all is now well.

The only issue was that the AOL sign on password had to be changed which I was advised by the AOL rep could be due to admin software.

Its an aunt's laptop who's ISP is AOL so its AOL is staying put.

The laptop uses Avast and Spyware Terminator for security.

Whatever you lot may say about aol I have been using the same email address for the last 25 years unlike most!

Problems tonight though!

I started with AOL, they were the first few good ones nd the only ones, when internet took off, I still use it and prefer it over all others, though i must admit I had started to use Google Chrome, but as of lately the Youtube clips won't play smoothly and the sound stutters, so annoying, I removed Chrome and reloaded it and still the same, if i use IE the you tube clips run smoothly.

When using google Chrome and watching Youtube clips, task manager indicated my processor was being used very close to 100%, hence why the sound stutters, when using IE the processor is only being used to about 30%, leaving lot of reserve processing power.

I think you will find Google Chrom is also using our browsing for spying on our lives, what we do what we at, when we ****e, when we urinte, when we have sex, what we wear,, who we speak to and so on, bloody liberty takers!

I had my AOL which I was paying for when my office mates were enthusing over Freeserve and others which were free.

Two years later the Freeserve and others were gone.

I have had the same email address at AOL for about 25 years now and have my own name as well as my business name!

Such a pity that I now have this log in problem! As yet unresolved!

Tony

Exactly, there was Tiscalli as well, which is wiped out of the surface of the earth, and AOL is still going pretty strong and I also have my email address as my name with Dot Com ending, which would so hard to get hold of now andthat is why I am not giving up, the only difference now is that in UK AOL is run by Talk Talk now, so I actually closed my AOL service provider and started to use Talk Talk as they offered a comprehensive package for everything including Mobile phone, my bills are virtually halved, and I took on a new mobile phone contract for £5.00 a month with a smart phone thrown in and is pretty good for what it is, with 100 min plus 200Mb data, 250 texts, and I still use my AOL as my prime email address.

Though i must admit there are better browsers than AOL's hence why I started to use Google Chrome, until it came unstuck, and I am now using IE, I tried using AOL 9.6 yesterday but found it very basic with only 5000 email storage and so i could not see my latest emails as I am well at 9000+ emails and I also found the AOL home page a little too simple and child like as oppose to more professional looking other browsers, unfortunately when you try others then you may not want to come back to AOL, as it is too simple and very unprofessional looking. but it does work, screen resolutions are poor, wordings and boxes are not high resolution and of poor graphics, but still I respect AOL anjd will stick to my email with them as the prime email address. :LOL:

AOL obviously has a fan base otherwise it wouldn't still exist although I suspect its more American fans rather than the UK.

As far as I'm aware both AOL and Talktalk are owned by the same company.

My aunty's has always been with AOL and having gotten used to the software, she's stayed with it. Its actually never been a bother until a recent update to 9.6.

For AOL uses on V9.7, I suspect, from experience, that the software has a bug that causes freezing with 64bit Windows.

I swapped to W7 32bit and the laptop has not frozen once since.

Sponsored Links
Back