Apollo Fanfare

R

Rayger

I have an Apollo Fanfare with boiler overrun, there is two cables coming from it, one has three wires which I presume is power the other has two wires one is blue the other is brown, this I think is the power to the pump, I have fitted the following..

Drayton Lifestyle LP522 programmer
Drayton Mid position valve,
Drayton LWC1 junction box,
Drayton Digistat 1 Room thermostat,
Pump
Cylinder thermostat.

When I switch on all seems ok, but when I try to switch the central heating off with the programmer, there is no response from the boiler, when I switch the hot water off using the programmer the boiler switches off then restarts.

I wired the system as per info sheet from Drayton ie Biflo with LWC1 and pump overrun boiler from there website.

Please help if you can.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
This boiler needs a permanent live, a switched live, and a pump live. The two core lead is probably two of those three lives. You need to refer to the wiring diagrams for each bit of equipment.

Thanks for the quick response, on the wiring plan from Drayton on the two wires from the boiler it shows s/w l , p/l on the three wire it shows L N E

Have connected the three wire to l=live n= neutral e=earth the two wires have connected to s/w l to switched live and the p/l to pump live.

All other equipment is wired as per diagram from Drayton.

I have an Apollo Fanfare with boiler overrun, there is two cables coming from it, one has three wires which I presume is power the other has two wires one is blue the other is brown, this I think is the power to the pump.
The three core cable will be the power to the boiler. One core of the two core is the switched supply to the boiler; the other is the supply from boiler to the pump, which presumably is in the airing cupboard with the valve, junction box etc.

So the first thing to do is identify which wire does what in the 2-core cable.

Turn power off and remove the outer cover from your boiler. You will see the connection box in the bottom right corner. Undo the single screw and it will drop down and come out.

The terminals are labelled:
N - (Power)
L - (Power)
HW
CH
CH OFF
ON
N - (Pump)
L - (Pump)

The power lead should be connected to the first two terminals and adjacent earth terminal. The pump terminals are the two at the other end, but I suspect only the end one (L) will be used. If so this is the pump live and you need to make a note of which colour wire it is. [The pump neutral is connected at the wiring centre so the N terminal is not required.] THe other core of the 2-core should be connected to terminal labelled ON
If both wires from the 2-core cable are connected to the two end terminals (L and N) , ignore what follows and post what is connected to the terminal labelled ON.

At the LWC1 wiring centre

1. Remove the link between 13 and 14.
2. Move the cylinder stat wire from 14 to 13.
3. Connect the pump wire from the boiler to 14
4. Connect the pump brown to 14.
5. Connect the other wire in the 2-core cable (i.e the one which is not the pump live) to 12.

Sponsored Links
Thank you D_Hailsham, will check the boiler wiring inside, seems odd though that the programmer switches on the central heating but will not switch it off.

Ok thanks again.

Ok checked the wiring in the boiler, the cable from the boiler the two wire one is connected inside the boiler to pump wire which is blue the other wire is connected to the 'on' which is the brown wire there is no connection to pump 'N'.

On the LWC1 I have the blue wire connected to terminal 13 and the brown wire connected to terminal 12 which has a link wire to T14 the cylinder therm call is connected to T14, it also has a link to T6 and the orange wire from the mid position valve is connected to T6, the pump brown wire {live} is connected to T13, is this correct?

Thanks.

Thank you D_Hailsham, will check the boiler wiring inside, seems odd though that the programmer switches on the central heating but will not switch it off.

Ok thanks again.

Ok checked the wiring in the boiler, the cable from the boiler the two wire one is connected inside the boiler to pump wire which is blue the other wire is connected to the 'on' which is the brown wire there is no connection to pump 'N'.

On the LWC1 I have the blue wire connected to terminal 13 and the brown wire connected to terminal 12 which has a link wire to T14 the cylinder therm call is connected to T14, it also has a link to T6 and the orange wire from the mid position valve is connected to T6, the pump brown wire {live} is connected to T13, is this correct?

Thanks.
That appears to be correct, what other wires are connected to what - room 'stat, programmer etc?

ok looking at the LWC1 nothing in T1, T2 linked to T4 in T2 is the call wire from room therm in T4 is the white wire from mid pos valve, T3 is linked to T9 in T3 is the com wire from the room therm in T9 is programmer ch on wire, T5 nothing, T6 linked to T12 in T6 is the orange wire from mid pos valve, in T12 is the boiler blue wire, this is also linked to T14 in T14 is the call from the cylinder therm, in T7 is the grey wire from the mid pos valve, this is linked to T8 in T8 is the HW off from the programmer, T8 is linked to T16 in T16 is the sat from cylinder therm, in T10 is the HW on wire from the programmer this is linked to T15 in T15 is the com wire from cylinder therm,
in T13 is the brown wire from boiler and the live wire from the pump.

Hope this makes sense.

Don't know if I can post links but here is the download diagram I used No2

{http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/technicalsupport/wiringdiagramsarchive/}

the wiring seems OK.
however can you explain:
When I switch on all seems ok, but when I try to switch the central heating off with the programmer, there is no response from the boiler, when I switch the hot water off using the programmer the boiler switches off then restarts.
when you turn the CH off (and the boiler stays on)is the HW on at the prog/calling at 'stat etc?
is the room 'stat a wireless or hard wired version?

Thank for the reply,

The room therm is a Drayton digistat 1 hard wired, 2 wires.

The programmer is the Drayton Lifestyle LP522 programmer when I press the CH button the boiler fires up but when I try to switch it off nothing happens the boiler is still firing and the pump is still working, but when I press the HW button the boiler fires up and when I switch it off with the HW button the boiler powers down, but after 3-5 secs the boiler will fire up again.

Even when the programmer is showing off on HW and CH the boiler still fires up.

I was talking about the buttons under the flap on the programmer not the large square buttons on the front.

in T12 is the boiler blue wire
This should be the wire connected to the ON terminal on the boiler, which you said in a previous post was brown!

in T13 is the brown wire from boiler and the live wire from the pump.
Which, according to your previous post, should be blue!

Have you got the two wires swapped over at the wiring centre?

Just a thought. :idea: Have you checked that the switch on the back of the LP522 is set to P?

You have used the correct diagram. My earlier instructions just swapped 13 and 14.

The LP522 is set to 'P' the blue wire from the boiler is connected in T13 to the brown wire from pump, there is no link wire from 13 to 14.

There is a link wire from 12 and 14.

The brown wire from boiler is connected into 12.

Do you think the LP522 is faulty?

If I follow your instructions Move the cylinder stat or should that be Sat? This is in 16 not 14, in 14 at the moment is cylinder call wire, if I connect this to 13 it would be on it's own. as it is at the moment it is connected into 16 which has a link wire to T8 which has the hw off wire in the programmer.

In 12 is the brown wire from boiler this is connected by a link wire to 14, in 14 is the call wire from cylinder therm.
In 13 is the blue wire from the boiler plus the brown wire from the pump.
In 15 is the com wire from the cylinder therm this is connected by link wire to 10 which has the hw on wire from the programmer.
In 16 is the sat wire from cylinder therm this is linked to 8, 8 is linked to 7 in that is the grey wire from mid pos valve.

This is the diagram I used from Drayton {http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/technicalsupport/wiringdiagramsarchive/} it is No2 download a PDF file.

Thanks.

OK boiler is working ok, ie switching off when the hot water reaches the correct temp and also switches off when CH is satisfied, which only leaves the programmer CH side not been able to manually switch the boiler off.

do you have a multi-meter, you will need to start checking voltages?
if you do - isolate supply - remove link T2-T4 - reinstate supply and check the voltage at both T2 and T4.

well, I'm working tomorrow so I hope DH (or some other helpful pro) is about to guide you further.

The voltage between T2 and T4 is 102volts. or T2 is 102v and T3 is 0v

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back