Appliances failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, bit of a weird request for information here.

We have lived in our current property for three months, when we moved in new RCB sockets were put in by the front and back door and the consumer unit provided no protection.

Since this has been done, we had one hoover blow completely, a PSU for a computer fry, every time the cooker hood is switched off the electric trips, the smoke alarm has a mind of its own and light bulbs blow way more than they should.

One of the RCB's by the front door was switched on one day involving lots of smoke coming out of the wall. We were told that the consumer unit was not compatable with the new RCB sockets.

Yesterday the consumer unit was replaced with another, and our new hoover has packed up this morning.

Are these coincedence?? Or is this a problem???

Sponsored Links
its possible (as are many other things) that your supply voltage is too high. do you live out in the sticks?

have you asked neighbours if they have experienced similar things?

We live in a well populated area, I have asked one neighbour and they have no problems. Im just miffed that everything keeps blowing. Ive never encountered anything like this.

We were told that the consumer unit was not compatable with the new RCB sockets.
Who told you that :rolleyes:

Was the new CU installed by a suitably qualified person, who carried out tests and gave you a certificate?

Sponsored Links
Yes it was installed by a qualified electrician, no certificate though, it is a rented property so it may have gone to the landlord.

The old CU was rated as 85A, but i totalled the fuses on it to 97A

I can only assume that this is what he meant by incompatible.

The new CU has RCB's on the board. so no need for the RCB's by the front and back door.

The hoover is the first thing to go, less than 24 hours after the new CU was installed.

we had one hoover blow completely
it was new, take it back

a PSU for a computer fry
this is fairly common.

every time the cooker hood is switched off the electric trips,
sounds like a fault which should have been addressed when the CU was changed. Its a rented property tell the landlord to either get it replaced or the wiring fixed (depending which is at fault, but thats his problem not yours) (my high voltage theory wouldnt effect this one)

the smoke alarm has a mind of its own
then its either broken and needs replacing or its wireing sorting or the voltage issue (if there is one) sorting. arent working smoke alarms a condition on you and your landlords home insurance? tell him to get it fixed, i think there may even be an extra requirement to have working smoke alarms in rented properties.

light bulbs blow way more than they should.
do you use decent bulbs (like osram), are they halogens (these blow loads more than normal) you could move to cfls (energy efficient ones) (I'm presuming you dont as these dont 'blow' sorry if you are).

when i say ask your neighbours, not just your next door but other people on the street as you may be on a different 'phase'. I am thinking its incorrect voltage or loose wires or just coincidence (as per my above comments, but i would get someone to measure the voltage, and loose wires should have been detected with proper testing when the CU was changed)

The old CU was rated as 85A, but i totalled the fuses on it to 97A

I can only assume that this is what he meant by incompatible.
nah thats fine, its called 'Diversity'

(note i added some edits after reading your last post and seeing it was rented)

instead of lightbulbs, but some Compact Fluorescent Lamps (Energy Saving bulbs) they are very tolerant of fluctuations and long-lasting, as well as saving money on electricity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back