Blown something?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a new consumer unit recently and had some new cables wired for sockets by an electrician. One exposed socket cable contacted its metal casing (the box in the wall) and blew the unit. The only fuse I can see (that looks like a main switch) has not blown. And none of the trip switches now have any effect. They'll go up or down alright but there's no power. The button that trips all electricity (is that an rcb?) has no effect either.
Any comments gratefully received...

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that main switch is in the ON position? Give it a try. If it's on you should have power and the test button should work. The rather ominous possibility is that the main service fuse has gone. You can't fix this yourself because it's sealed by your electricity supplier. Time to get that plonker back to sort it out!

On the main switch if it is an rcd there will be a button with test printed on it, if so you may need to push the lever (not the button)of the switch to the full off position before it will let you reset it to the on position.

you may need to push the lever (not the button)of the switch to the full off position before it will let you reset it to the on position

Good thinking comms. I was caught out once by a 70 amp 3 phase breaker that worked the same way. Kirikee, give it a try.

Sponsored Links
Do you have an external meter box and have you checked that there is not a seperate rcd in there.

Thank you for your responses. The problem occured in a flat in a large house. It doesn't have a separate electricity supply though it does have it's own meter and board. No other part of the house was affected. There is no external meter box but there is a main box in the main house, with large fuses none of which have blown. The rcd unfortunately will not reset.

Is there still a fault on the circuit? If so it would be impossible to switch the RCD back on.

I presume that if you switch the RCD off and then on, nothing happens. If it appears to switch on, does the 'test' button switch it off? Or did you mean that it will not latch into the 'on' position. If so it either blew up, has no power coming in, or there is still an unrepaired fault.

Have you identified which fuse elsewhere should be powering this. Not one hidden somewhere which has blown?

I presume that if you switch the RCD off and then on, nothing happens. If it appears to switch on, does the 'test' button switch it off?
Yes thats it, sorry, and no the test button has no effect. Thanks. Actually turns out a fuse at the main board had blown, but I had to take the fuse out of its holder to notice this as it had looked fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back