application for three phase supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a question for westie really...
If you make an application for a 3ph supply and on the application you estimate your demand at 37k.v.a.
Would you have the supply cable and cut out fuses laid/installed accordingly ?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the DNO, we would, network permitting, install a 3 x 100A service.

Generally the DNO's do not protect for overload so would generally not reduce use sizes depending on an application.

When you get the quote it will specify the max permitted load

I was wondering if they would build in the extra capacity (common sense) or install according to your estimate.

Well we have only one cable that we could use for a 3 phase supply of that size. So would install that.
I see no reason why other DNOs would have a range of cable for different capacities below 3 x 100A. They may fit smaller fuses but still have to discriminate with customer protective devices so 60A is the minimum they would probably use.

Sponsored Links
It depends on who plans it - I've had some jobs be specced as a 3x 60A for industrial use, and another as a 3x 100a for a street lighting pillar! Probably in an attempt to get people to not go over their ASC, I suppose a lighting pillar isn't likely to change too much load wise whereas other industrial use probably will.

I've also had a job that could have quite easily coped with a standard 100A 3ph cut out (can't remember the load) but ended up being specced to a 400A HD cut out with 60A fuses.... :eek: As I say it depends on the planner!

but ended up being specced to a 400A HD cut out with 60A fuses.... icon_eek.gif As I say it depends on the planner!

Possibly to do with the type of load and/or volt drop.

but ended up being specced to a 400A HD cut out with 60A fuses.... icon_eek.gif As I say it depends on the planner!

Possibly to do with the type of load and/or volt drop.

The planner was anticipating the load going up apparently, so specced it as 95 fed with HD cutout. When I went to site, it turned out the unit in question was going to get divided into two units with the other half having a separate supply....so I can't see the full capacity being called for any time soon!

Edit: oh yeah, and whole current metered, the mop's usually **** themselves when they see a HD cutout

Edit: oh yeah, and whole current metered, the mop's usually s**t themselves when they see a HD cutout

Tell me about it! We're fed up of the reasons why MOPs can't deal with HD cut-outs!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back