1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

application for three phase supply

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by dingodeano, 19 Jan 2013.

1. dingodeano

dingodeano

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    a question for westie really...
    If you make an application for a 3ph supply and on the application you estimate your demand at 37k.v.a.
    Would you have the supply cable and cut out fuses laid/installed accordingly ?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. westie101

westie101

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Depends on the DNO, we would, network permitting, install a 3 x 100A service.

Generally the DNO's do not protect for overload so would generally not reduce use sizes depending on an application.

When you get the quote it will specify the max permitted load

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. dingodeano

dingodeano

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was wondering if they would build in the extra capacity (common sense) or install according to your estimate.

5. westie101

westie101

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well we have only one cable that we could use for a 3 phase supply of that size. So would install that.
    I see no reason why other DNOs would have a range of cable for different capacities below 3 x 100A. They may fit smaller fuses but still have to discriminate with customer protective devices so 60A is the minimum they would probably use.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. TheKeymeister

TheKeymeister

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It depends on who plans it - I've had some jobs be specced as a 3x 60A for industrial use, and another as a 3x 100a for a street lighting pillar! Probably in an attempt to get people to not go over their ASC, I suppose a lighting pillar isn't likely to change too much load wise whereas other industrial use probably will.

I've also had a job that could have quite easily coped with a standard 100A 3ph cut out (can't remember the load) but ended up being specced to a 400A HD cut out with 60A fuses.... :eek: As I say it depends on the planner!

8. westie101

westie101

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Possibly to do with the type of load and/or volt drop.

9. TheKeymeister

TheKeymeister

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The planner was anticipating the load going up apparently, so specced it as 95 fed with HD cutout. When I went to site, it turned out the unit in question was going to get divided into two units with the other half having a separate supply....so I can't see the full capacity being called for any time soon!

Edit: oh yeah, and whole current metered, the mop's usually **** themselves when they see a HD cutout

10. westie101

westie101

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Tell me about it! We're fed up of the reasons why MOPs can't deal with HD cut-outs!

11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local