Apply weed killer to monobloc drive after power washing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have just finished a good 9-10 hour stint power washing our front mono bloc drive.

I need to apply weed killer into the gaps between the blocs before re sanding with kiln dried sand.

What type of weed killer should be used?

Sponsored Links
Most weed killers don't last more than a few months, better to mix in a quantity of salt which will discourage growth and be a lot cheaper.

Depending how large your drive is just get large bags of cooking salt from your local supermarket pour a bag on the drive & then brush it around & into the joints as you would the sand. Keep an eye on it until it has all dissolved with the rain & then apply your sand. Don't be in a hurry & use a hose pipe it will not work as well. As with most weedkillers it will not work on weeds like dandelions & dockings, you would need to physically remove their roots.

Sponsored Links
Someone today was saying vinegar is an effective weedkiller.

Salt is a lot better than vinegar, also it is easy to apply as all you have to do is pour and brush.

Andy

you can use Pathclear, which contains a chemical that prevents seeds growing. It leaves a thin film on the surface layer of the soil, which will break up if you disturb it by hoeing, raking or pulling up weeds.

It contains a different chemical that kills active growing weeds, it is absorbed through their leaves.

You don't apply any normal weedkiller before filling the cracks with sand.

you can use Pathclear, which contains a chemical that prevents seeds growing. It leaves a thin film on the surface layer of the soil, which will break up if you disturb it by hoeing, raking or pulling up weeds.

It contains a different chemical that kills active growing weeds, it is absorbed through their leaves.

You don't apply any normal weedkiller before filling the cracks with sand.
Its on paving , no soil involved.

So it leaves a thin film on the surface layer of the sand. it prevents seeds growing.

Anyone tried the Tarmac kd sand that contains weed killer? I seen it last time I was in b n q

I used a bottle of Rostate 360 Glyphosate Super Strength before we live where we do now. We had a large gravel driveway which by March/April was sprouting weeds everywhere fast. Mixed a solution of this stuff and spread it on and everything was dead in 3-5 days. In all the time I was there, nothing ever grew back on the area I spread it on. At all. Not even an inkling of a weed.

Beware that it is potent stuff and will kill most plants/weeds/shrubs it comes into contact with.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2528200617...=9046400&device=c&campaignid=861899495&crdt=0

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Glyphosate isnt the right stuff for this it will be all but gone in under a week. It soon breaks down. Its why its so popular.
Salt is an excellent idea.
For more stubborn weeds bleach works well i use Caustic Soda on Horsetail dead in a few days.

If you buy it in strong concentrations and mix to the right ratio, it is potent stuff. In fact, I only used it because the farmer on the fields behind where we used to live bought two drums of the stuff and had incredibly effective results.

Bleach too breaks down very quickly into salt and water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back