Applying CombiColor to metalgarage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I applied a coat of CombiColor to a stripped galvanised metal door, treated with mordant solution. Anyway, the paint is nothing like normal oil paint for indoor wood work. It's really thick and sticky, and I gave up with a brush and used a mini roller. Can anyone please give me advice on how to apply this stuff with a brush? I've done one coat, two more to go. I'd prefer to hand paint rather than roller it on. I ind it so sticky that brushing it on is a pain. Maybe I apply it too thin? I'm used tio applying oil paint thinly to prevent runs.

Sponsored Links
I've not used it but one obvious problem is applying it to an unprimed surface. I know it says its a primer top coat in one but the paint will apply far better over another coat of paint such as a primer. Does it say do not stir on the tin as i think it may be a thixotropic paint, if so stirring and thinning will make it easier to apply but will sag and run if over applied.
The only other thing is you don't need to use an anti rust paint on galvanised steel, the last galvanised garage door i did i used zinnser 123 as a primer followed by weather shield u/c and gloss. I don't use mordant solution so not sure how well paint flows over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back