applying drywall adhesive.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a query about applying drywall adhesive. Tried it today for the first time. mixed correctly and applied to walls badly consequently not all dabs have gripped the board and I've had to pull it down. I have seen on all the posts that the adhesive is put onto the wall but I think it would be easier and more accurate for me to lie the board across a table and apply the dabs directly to the board and then lift into place. Is this ok or is there some reason for the dabs to be applied to the wall. Any help welcome.

Sponsored Links
The board didnt come away. because the wall is uneven not all the dabs I had put on the wall gripped the board. I could see that by looking sideways on. I took the board down myself

mix the adhesive up a bit thicker and put thicker dabs also put more dabs on the wall.

Sponsored Links
Make the dabs thicker around the perimeter of the board. That will hold the board in place and will work for the unevenness of your wall.

offer up board, mark wall where board finishes, use trowel to apply continuous bead of adhesive to wall all around perimeter .

(using a trowel should allow you to apply same amount of muck every time as a rough guide use 1/3 of trowel full but you may need a tad more if the wall is that uneven.)

then apply continuous vertical beads every 2 or 300mm, tap board (forcefully) back with straight edge making sure square and level.

Fool proof method which is why I use it!! ;)

had a simular issue,just needed to apply more adhesive. All I would add is that if you're doing a longer stretch and the walls are not true then ensure that the first board adhesive is thick enough otherwise you may find you offer up the next board without adhesive and find it's already level with the board you just stuck down.. if you get my drift.. here's a pick of my 2nd attempt. I think this board came off again in order to apply more adhesive..

View media item 2925

Get a long length of straight timber and find the "HIGH SPOT" on your wall. Start boarding here, then any subsequent boards will obviously need more glue to bring them up level.

had a simular issue,just needed to apply more adhesive. All I would add is that if you're doing a longer stretch and the walls are not true then ensure that the first board adhesive is thick enough otherwise you may find you offer up the next board without adhesive and find it's already level with the board you just stuck down.. if you get my drift.. here's a pick of my 2nd attempt. I think this board came off again in order to apply more adhesive..

View media item 2925

your socket box isn't screwed back, also the grommets are missing from the "knock outs" ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back