Applying stone slips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey chaps!

Got 6m2 of 20mm thick stone slips to apply on a chipboard stud wall!

Ive a wall opposite that i cladded with brick slips ( This is a showroom im opening! doing different openings in stone render brick etc etc )

I stuck the brick tills on with a decent tile adhesive and they held brill, however with these being "much?" heavier and bigger just wanted to know the best option to ensure a decent bond!

Ive got the same tile adhesive as last time and want to know wether its better to spread it on the wall with a serated tilers trowel, giving me the suction! or wether to cover the entire back of the slip ( No trowel lines ) and squat it on the wall?

If you could let me know which of the methods would ensure a secure stick? or maybe theres a different option?

Cheers guys!

Sponsored Links
I'd stick with the tile cement and use a big 15mm trowel. not so sure about the chip board as a backer for them though.

Thanks Neo!

The wall is already cloaked in the chipboard (18mm obviously!) and cant see a way round it other than using ply? or nailing a mesh to it? which i cant see much point in!

Ive got a 3 Seggy bay with Stone mullions, heads a cills in front of this so im limited to sizes!

Would Unibonding the chipboard be of any help? or any other tricks?

Thanks for the reply regarding the trowel etc etc!

Hi

Unibonding would take the suction out of the chipboard and stop the moisture in the adhesive being drawn into the chipboard too quickly and hence the adhesive losing its grab.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the stone will not have the same level of suction as the brick slips and it may take a while longer for the adhesive to set and you would be advised to use some spacers between the stone slips, unless of course you are close bonding, in which case you may want to consider the weight of the stone slips acting on one another, and maybe consider slicing the job into 2 or 3 sections of wall at a time, say allow overnight between sections for the adhesive to fully bond/set.

Regards

Sponsored Links
How deep are they? If they are seriously heavy and if they are mullion and jamb sets etc then will you be pointing them up anyway? You could bang a few nails or screws in where your joints are and point over them?

I have just finished on a house built with basalt stone blocks and reconstitued sandstone cill jamb and mullion sets for openings and we had a few fiddly stones to stick back on here and there and rapid set natural stone tile cement stuck them on real strong.

Oh and its not flooring grade chipboard is it cause that MR stuff has a real nasty shine to the surface.

First one! Almost all done now!

Wasnt enough decent size stones to course it properly! So i just ended up doing it random! Not sure what you guys think? But i dont think its too bad for a 19 year old lol :D !

Show us a photo when it is pointed.

Will do, not starting the pointing as yet, but ill put one up when done!

Can i be curious and ask why? In terms of just what it looks like when finished or in terms of you'll think ill spoil it when i point it?

Cheers!

Hmm.. I must agree, What you think then?

Will take some pics of the full wall and bay and the rest of the showrrom at some point!

The pointing is flush as you can tell :eek:, many of the houses around the area are like that so kept it in keeping, not sure what you pro's think lol!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back