Apprentice Pay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone this is my first time writing and just a simple question really, what do you reccomend to pay an apprentice weekly? please get back to me if you can . dave

Sponsored Links
You have to pay him at least minimum wage £5.50 an hr. If he is worth keeping, then you have to make it more. :D

£600 to £800 a week. Where are you, I'll send you a job application.

Sponsored Links
Jib rates from the 1st Jan 2007.

1st year of training £4.82
2nd year of training £5.52
3rd year £6.24
3rd year with NVQ level 2 £7.58
4th year £7.68
4th year with NVQ level 2 £8.71
4th year with NVQ level 3 £9.62

Plus tool allances etc

doitall said:

3rd year £6.24
4th year £7.68

Plus tool allances etc

It would be an interesting fact to know how many self employed can afford to employ an apprentice. At various times of the year I get a slew of letters asking if I can take them on. I just could not afford to take someone on full time as the amount of work can be so unpredictable.

I employed an apprentice for about 7 months and even though his training was paid for via funding I could not justify keeping him on cost wise.

I firmly believe that a one man band cannot afford any trainee and that you need to have at least 3 trained workers before it would not be a drain on resources.

htgeng said:
doitall said:

3rd year £6.24
4th year £7.68

Plus tool allances etc

It would be an interesting fact to know how many self employed can afford to employ an apprentice. At various times of the year I get a slew of letters asking if I can take them on. I just could not afford to take someone on full time as the amount of work can be so unpredictable.
You get allowances and grants are available son contact local college for advice .Not enough people coming into the trade as apprentices every one should try and make an effort.

.Not enough people coming into the trade as apprentices every one should try and make an effort.

never had an apprentice then

the job takes twice as long split between explaining the balls up to the customer then having to sort it yourself

jeez where we really that thick once :LOL:

My vucker broke the slide loading door of the fan today, kokced up the brickwork of the old square flue, I hat to take it all out and start again, and I was going to let him run the new gas piupe up the outside of the house, but took over even that small task. So then I thought it's a windy day, I'll get him to foot the ladder, and he wandered off and left me up the ladder in the wind.

He did manage to put the immersion in though, siphon drain the old cylinder and remove it, though he cut the perfectly good heat resistant immersion flex splap bang in the middle so I have to buy a new one.

He's actually very good for a 16 year old, I just like everything to be done to a professional standard , so there isn't a hope of him being able to do anything at all without me redoing it for a few years yet.

We are running charities I tell yer.

Sounds all to familiar. mine dropped my mobile in a pot of flux and wreckedit! Took the soft flush adapter to bits to remove it when he couldn't work out you just slid it back! Lost next days work (powerflush) as he lost half the adapter!!! and when I finally found him something he thought he could do , drain remains of 25 gal cold feed in loft into bucket, he drained it ok then kicked the b***** bucket over in loft :rolleyes: :evil: :LOL:

Hence I couldn't afford him :mad:

K do you know how to remove a cylinder
APP yes
K ok go and do it if you get stuck holler

BANG

water dripping through the ceiling

K what the ell is going on (walks upstairs)

twonk had cut the pipework and kicked the flaming cylinder over twas hanging on the immersion flex

made him drain it into a bucket then walk down stairs to empty it :LOL:

good job it was a refurb :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back