Apprentice Plumber Screwdrivers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My son who is an apprentice plumber is building up his tools, what do the professionals on this forum recommend as a screwdriver set. Should he buy something like draper or go for a more expensive wera set or something else.

Thanks
Victor

Sponsored Links
Start with Draper, they are decent enough, once he stops using them as chisels he can move on to an expensive set

Thanks Ian,

Tell him to watch online for |Lidl and Aldi tools, usually a thursday I think, not brand named but exact same tools just sold under a different name, they do some really decent stuff at very low prices, I have bought and still use loads of their stuff

Sponsored Links
and I would say look for chrome-vanadium alloy steel, it is generally the best material for hand tools. Preferably with the non-shiny black tips. Chrome-plate is not the same and is not much good. Nor is carbon steel. The shafts are often stamped "CRV" but it should be on the packaging too.

If he will be doing much hand screwing, the pear-shaped "carpenters'" plastic handle will blister his hand less than the engineers type.

The little screwdriving bits used in power tools are a harder steel alloy to resist wear (it is also brittle and can crack) and must be replaced when worn.

He's welcome to all the ones I lost in lofts over the years:D
Lost count of the sets I have in the lockup with the common used ones missing and the ones that we never use are brand new, my preferance these days is a good quality driver and bits sets, again so many bits that are never used

Great advice everyone, sounds like there's a lot of lost tools out there somewhere.

Whatever he ends up getting, mark them - couple of stripes of electrical tape on the shaft or Dremel his initials onto them- might discourage the 'borrowers' :)

My own dad used to work in a garage so knows all about tools going for a walk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back