Screwdriver recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Was going to get a screwdriver set as part of a Christmas present for a second year electrical apprentice as they were talking about getting one, but I’m not sure which one to get. I know they wanted one that was insulated and a ratchet screwdriver, but I don’t know what the difference between these sets and was hoping someone could give some advice on which is likely to be more useful and which would be their choice, or is it a case of personal preference? I was hoping to get it without having to ask them as it’s a present, but I’ve no idea what I’m buying! Thanks for the advice!!

The sets in question were

And

And

Sponsored Links
I have the one with one handle and the test screwdriver. Don't get that, I'd much rather have got the one with two handles.

Not sure you can get an insulated rachet, thats what the VDE mark is, I dont use them sets, but personally id have the first set with the two handles, it would be a pain keep swapping the shafts, you often need both a flat head and a pozi together. on a simple job.
One piece in the other sets the clear screwdriver is not much value really.
If you dont want to spend that much just get a 2 peice set of good quality MODULO screwdrivers, these are rarely included in sets but are the way forward in the trade.
Many like to pick there own tools though, i always use irazola they come in a set and are normal old school with handles , i again bin the clear screwdriver thats just there to cheaply bump up the sets quantity.
A set of about six usually 40 quid or so

.... I dont use them sets, but personally id have the first set with the two handles, it would be a pain keep swapping the shafts, you often need both a flat head and a pozi together. on a simple job.
I have to say that for any purpose (not just electrical work) I find'detachable handles' a complete pain, which I try to avoid like the plague - it's not as if 'proper screwdrivers' (with handles!) take up all that much space, and I certainly don't personally regard the 'space saving' as going anywhere near compensating for the hassle ... but that's just me!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have to say that for any purpose (not just electrical work) I find'detachable handles' a complete pain, which I try to avoid like the plague - it's not as if 'proper screwdrivers' (with handles!) take up all that much space, and I certainly don't personally regard the 'space saving' as going anywhere near compensating for the hassle ... but that's just me!

Kind Regards, John
I have 1/4" hex drivers and a selection of bits for the unusual requirements but everyday screwdrivers are not detachable blades, no way, no how. Horrible wobbly things with rotational slack. I know we all say a bad workman blames his tools but it's so much better when tools work properly.

I have 1/4" hex drivers and a selection of bits for the unusual requirements but everyday screwdrivers are not detachable blades, no way, no how. Horrible wobbly things with rotational slack.
Exactly the same here.
I know we all say a bad workman blames his tools but it's so much better when tools work properly.
Indeed, and good workmen are perfectly entitled to blame their tools when they are bad ;)

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the advice. I was only looking at these ones as he had used someone else’s and said he liked them, and was looking at them online to get his own set as he’d lost his insulated screwdriver at work, but didn’t get them due to the price, but not sure what one he was looking at. Any other recommendations gratefully received though!

Personally I would go for individual insulated screwdrivers or perhaps a set of.
I do not like the interchangeable bit thingys - I suppose if you had two handles rather than just one then it is an improvement.
One thing I would advise considering though is the torque screwdriver and that would come with interchangeable bitsbut they are not cheap so it could be another present for another day perhaps.
Ideally a few slotted, a few phillips and a few pozi (note - Pozi and Phillips are not the same), that would be your "starter for ten" as Bamber used to say.
You would need say 3 sizes of each so at least 6 , better still 9 .

Oh and PS - the interchangeable bits can be good for use in electric drills/screwdrivers too.

PS - don`t let me put you off the interchasngeable sets you have shown, if you are prepared to change blades (which is the bit I do not like about them) then yes they all look pretty good to me.

As said , bin the clear one.

Last edited:
Personally I would go for individual insulated screwdrivers or perhaps a set of.
I do not like the interchangeable bit thingys - I suppose if you had two handles rather than just one then it is an improvement.
One thing I would advise considering though is the torque screwdriver and that would come with interchangeable bitsbut they are not cheap so it could be another present for another day perhaps.
Ideally a few slotted, a few phillips and a few pozi (note - Pozi and Phillips are not the same), that would be your "starter for ten" as Bamber used to say.
You would need say 3 sizes of each so at least 6 , better still 9 .

Oh and PS - the interchangeable bits can be good for use in electric drills/screwdrivers too
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Prod is that the kind of thing you mean? If not any links would be great! It’s for the daughter’s boyfriend for Christmas, so don’t mind if it’s a bit more.

Ihave the wera wiha and klein, all slimline, one set for ph pz and slotted, makes identification easier in the tote.

Blup

For an apprentice I'd not buy a set of interchangeable bits/blades. Much to easy for individual items to get lost or borrowed and not returned especially as an apprentice. I only have one tool left from my apprentice days, the metal box.
In My Humble Opinion a set of 'Fixed blade' VDE screwdrivers from Aldi or Screwfix/Toolstation along with a Cabinet Pattern Srewdriver set (e.g. Draper 14078) will be better idea.
If he employed by large-ish firm they may insist he can only use tools they supply and test, personal tools will not be allowed.

In My Humble Opinion a set of 'Fixed blade' VDE screwdrivers from Aldi or Screwfix/Toolstation along with a Cabinet Pattern Srewdriver set (e.g. Draper 14078) will be better idea.
Your Humble Opinion is not alone. That would also be my approach - for myself or even to give to others.

Apart from anything else, the price differentials are enormous,and I have better things to spend 'very appreciable' amounts on than screwdrivers :)
Kind Regards, John

For an apprentice I'd not buy a set of interchangeable bits/blades. Much to easy for individual items to get lost or borrowed and not returned especially as an apprentice. I only have one tool left from my apprentice days, the metal box.
If he employed by large-ish firm they may insist he can only use tools they supply and test, personal tools will not be allowed.
Thanks for that, will have a look. He has to supply his own tools but from what I can gather they need to be insulated ones.

I personally dislike that handle shape, as silly as it sounds they simply don't fit my hands. Others I work with love the shape.

Something that many don't consider is a smaller screwdriver usually requires a thinner handle, example:

1702578015695.png
A handle designed for a No2 Posi or 8mm flat blade is too cumbersome for a 1/8" flat blade when wiring a 13A plug.

I find I regularly have several different screwdrivers in use (commonly 3mm, 4mm, PZ1, PZ2, PH1, PH2 is very typical) and constantly changing bits would be a real chore ie position wire to hold in place while fixing, release it to change bit to 3mm flat, re-position and tighten, position other end, release it to change bit to PZ1, re-position and tighten etc as opposed to; position, select driver and tighten, position other end, select driver and tighten. Followed by change bit to PH2 to mount device.

I'd suggest a gift token/cash etc for them to make their own choice.

For what it's worth I mostly use Wiha followed by Stanley screwdrivers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back