Which Torque Screwdrivers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a torque screwdriver set - mainly for CU work though though while I'm buying something I'd like a universal set that caters for most needs.

This set from Draper Expert looks one of the most flexible and can be picked up for around £80. It doesn't come with PZ/SL / Pozidrive PlusMinus bits but these are only about £4 each.

https://www.drapertools.com/product...ngeable-VDE-Torque-Screwdriver-Set-(19-Piece)

Would anyone recommend against this, or have any alternative suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I'm looking to buy a torque screwdriver set - mainly for CU work though though while I'm buying something I'd like a universal set that caters for most needs.
See the recent discussion about 'shear screws' here. I've personally largely given up using either of my torque screwdrivers for electrical work, since I found that the 'recommended torques' for, for example, the sort of things found in CUs (MCBs, RCDs etc.) can leave the screws (in my opinion) dangerously loose - but others may disagree. However, for what it's worth ...
This set from Draper Expert looks one of the most flexible and can be picked up for around £80. It doesn't come with PZ/SL / Pozidrive PlusMinus bits but these are only about £4 each.
https://www.drapertools.com/product...ngeable-VDE-Torque-Screwdriver-Set-(19-Piece)
Would anyone recommend against this, or have any alternative suggestions?
I have a couple, one of which I was given as a present, and an old version of Draper one you mention is the one that I have used most (although, as I said, now not usually for electrical work), and have generally been very happy with.

Kind Regards, John

You could consider wera I suppose they make a VDE torque handle (plus inserts of course) not a direct recommendation, just a suggestion.

Seem to recall someone mention they have different ranges and some do no include the torques you may need within there range

Sponsored Links
Seem to recall someone mention they have different ranges and some do no include the torques you may need within there range
Maybe, but I would have doubted that the range of any torque screwdriver would not include what one needed for electrical purposes.

Kind Regards, John

With cars and cylinder heads there was a problem using torque wrenches and there was a move to using a low torque to ensure home and then so many degrees extra, to my mind the problem is the torque wrench or screwdriver removes the feel you normally get, so before use you have to ensure no tight threads and all screw threads are lubricated, if a screw thread is not cut correctly, and the screw binds, once the terminal has heated up, the threads are reformed, so it seems the screw was not tight in the first place, there is only really one way to be sure, and that is to re-torque after a set time, this is what use to happen with car cylinder heads, however with batching plants we had a service where every terminal was checked for tightness, and even with torque drivers we got cables shearing off due to continually tightening them, so we went over to maintenance free terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back