Approx cost of a disabled lift installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Does anyone have any idea on what the cost of lift would be to install in e.g. a medical clinic to take a disabled person from the ground floor to the first floor in a vertical manner through the ceiling (therefore not a stair way lift)? I am referring to the one where you have to hold down the button continuously and has a glass door type.

I dont want to call one of the suppliers and be on their spam list, just want to get a ball park idea if anyone here has been involved in having one commissioned or ordered. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You're talking about 'platform lifts', I don't think it's particulalry valuable asking for a ballpark off a forum, there are many variables, I would ring two or three manufacturers and make an enquiry, there's no reason to think you'll be spammed, these people aren't that desperate they'll be hounding you for business. I would try say https://www.stannahlifts.co.uk/ , https://platformliftco.co.uk/ and https://www.gartec.com/ , they're all national and will likely happily send a rep out to do a recce and put a quote together, tis the only way really. You'll likely also need someone (technician or one man band architect say) to handle the Building Regs application and organise some structural drawings to show how the structure is to be modified etc, may need a new concrete slab underneath too etc.

That said, assuming a standard off the shelf lift with say a 3m floor to floor I would guess it'd be approx £25K for the lift + installation + say £5-15K for associated building works + say £1-3K for professional fees. But they could be well off, as mentoined some variable in there to be considered.

You might find the manufacturers may even provide the whole service including managing the whole project but be cautious if you follow that approach.

Thanks, that's helpful. Out of interest, why do you suggest being cautious with the last line suggestion?

Could be anywhere from £15 - £50k for the platform lift and installation alone, price depends on loads of different factors - size of cabin, load rating, speed rating, travel height, location.
Then add on the cost of someone else carrying out the structural alterations like forming a new opening in the first floor, forming a new foundation/recess in the ground floor and building new walls around the lift. Generally the lift manufacturer won't get involved in any of the structural work and will come out just to install the lift.

Sponsored Links
You’d need to ensure that any lift was designed for commercial use, a home lift wouldn’t satisfy commercial premesis.
years ago a rugby club funded a lift for a disabled (through rugby) student and it was ok at the time but within five years it had to be replaced due to regs.
it was little more than a forklift bolted to the wall with a fence around the first floor to stop people falling through the hole.
people tended to leave stuff on the ground floor which stopped the lift descending.
many nowadays are similar but with a metal office partition like casing.

i expect that you would also need a fire plan to evacuate the person in event of fire.

this site suggests £16k (without vat?) and doesn’t say if it is just supply and fit to a supplied hole.
don’t forget servicing costs

Thanks, that's helpful. Out of interest, why do you suggest being cautious with the last line suggestion?
Because then none of the contractors they may use eg builders, professionals, building control inspectors etc will be employed by you, so their client would be the lift manufacturer not you which.

I had a detailed conversation with someone from platform lifts and they have indicatively said £19k starting for supply and installation but as others have said, I need my own builder to make the opening etc. Their range of lifts range from £19-21k. Lift size would be contained within 1.6m x 1.2m opening.

For just a plaform lift? £60K would get you a conventional lift with multiple stops.
Would it?
the talk when a new building was built opposite our work was that the lift cost £500k.
it’s a three story building with a big atrium and the lift was one that was ok for evacuation.

Previous place we had was built without a lift and had an external one fitted then covered in with cladding in a sort of bay / alcove of the building. Even that cost an arm and a leg

Would it?
the talk when a new building was built opposite our work was that the lift cost £500k.
it’s a three story building with a big atrium and the lift was one that was ok for evacuation.

Previous place we had was built without a lift and had an external one fitted then covered in with cladding in a sort of bay / alcove of the building. Even that cost an arm and a leg
For a conventional lift serving say four storeys yes it would.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back