New single French door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My lounge currently has a very large window occupying most of one of the outside walls and a small opening one up high next to the large one.

I want to remove the small window and install a glass door opening out on to the garden. I have been trying to find out about building regs for this work. The main regs as far as I can see relate to the thermal properties and safety of the glass. This I can satisfy by buying a relevant door.

The other regs are disabled access, ventilation, means of escape and structure. Means of escape is ok because its a door. disabled access should be ok because it's a standard size.

What I'm not clear about is ventilation and structure. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks,

Chris.

Sponsored Links
Is the small window right next to & a part of the frame of the large one, is the current window wood or UVPC, is it single of double glazed, what material do you want for the new window; also might be an idea to post a picture? If they are adjacent, you will almost certainly end up replacing whole lot as one unit as it will be very difficult to remove the small window, remove the brickwork below to allow a door to be fitted & marry the 2 back up again. You should be OK with the existing lintel but, again, might be wise to post a pic. You will need to close the cavity on the new reveal (where you’ve removed the brickwork).

French doors by definition are double doors so it sounds like what you’re proposing is just an external door. To comply with regs. you will need a DG, ‘K’ glass unit & go for a 20mm air gap (most are now); the door, any adjacent windows below 1500mm or any other window below 800mm must be safety glass. You don’t need to worry about disabled access, means of escape or trickle ventilation (although this may be a good idea); these apply to new builds, renovations or change of use; currently, B Regs. require only that what you do does not make the situation any worse than it was before.

Both the door & its installation is notifyable so you have 2 choices; either use a FENSA registered installer or get it inspected by Building Control (fee involved); they may also want to see the cavity closer installed before you cover it up.

If you use a FENSA registered installer you will not need a Building Notice as they ensure all Building Regs relating to the new door (ventilation/thermal properties/glass safety etc) are met. This means you don't have to worry about compliance, inform LABC, pay a fee to BC etc.

This is assuming you're not altering the size of the existing opening and the existing support is adequate.

Are you wanting to install the door yourself?

Thanks for the informative replies. Yes I am thinking of installing myself. I have already contacted the council and received the building works notification form.

Chris.

Sponsored Links
Is the small window right next to & a part of the frame of the large one, is the current window wood or UVPC, is it single of double glazed, what material do you want for the new window; also might be an idea to post a picture? If they are adjacent, you will almost certainly end up replacing whole lot as one unit as it will be very difficult to remove the small window, remove the brickwork below to allow a door to be fitted & marry the 2 back up again. You should be OK with the existing lintel but, again, might be wise to post a pic. You will need to close the cavity on the new reveal (where you’ve removed the brickwork).

Hi Richard,

Here is a photo. As you can see the small window is a seperate frame. Both are upvc, double glazed. The new door will be a upvc double glazed also.

Chris

Couldn’t resist a peek at the rest of your photo album, hope you don’t mind! That looks like a really good project you’ve got going there; really nice location, nice cat, nice garden & nice family too; not sure about the frogs though! Just for info, I’m 2 years into a major, restoration/extension of a 60’s property here at the moment, is yours a similar age?

Looking at the photo, you shouldn’t have a problem with the lintel so it’s just a case removing the brickwork below; If you really do want to use it again, I would certainly remove the existing window before attempting it! How old is the window? You will need to match the existing profile in order to marry it up with the door or it could end up looking like a pigs ear! Does the window meet current regs? BC may take the view that as it’s next to a new door, it forms a single unit so must comply; the new door must be safety glass & so must that window! If it isn’t you will have to change it. It's just a suggestion but if you do have to change it, why not open the door up to 1500 or even 1800mm wide so you can get a set of double French doors in there with a window along side. Or even go full width & have a nice bi-fold door set in there; but they are rather expensive!

To cut the opening, hire yourself a B/great/MF, 12 inch diamond disc cutter. It will frighten the life out of you if you haven’t used one before, makes one hell of a noise, creates mega dust but will cut though that wall like a knife through butter; job done in less than 10 minutes leaving a nice straight cut. Good luck & come back if you need to know anything else & I will help if I can.

Haha! The cat's not mine, it just came after the frogs! :) My sister cleaned the pond for me and found 24 frogs and a Great crested newt! The bungalow was built just into the 70's, so yes it is a similar age. This is my first full restoration. The bedrooms and hall were plastered yesterday, I can't believe the difference, it's very exciting.

Thanks for the tips. Im not sure how old the windows are. I'll have to look to see if there are any guarantees anywhere in the documents.

Chris.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back