new window/door opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See the below photo. On the back of my house, there is currently a small window, a door, and a larger window. This is in the kitchen. It currently looks daft - 3 different openings and 3 different top heights. And the kitchen is dark. The 3 openings have black outlines on the drawing (if you can make it out).

My plan is to open the whole back up into one opening, 10ft wide. The door will move to the corner, and the rest of the opening will be a big window. The walls are solid 9 inch. The soil pipe might need moving (it runs down the side of the back door at present, so I will divide the new door and window with a PVC filler strip). The top line will be a bit higher than it is now, to let more light in.

Anyhow, will this need planning or building regs? I'm reckoning on a day's work for a builder??

Sponsored Links
You are changing the physical appearance of the property so I would have thought it will involve a word with your local Authority who will advise you whether planning is needed.

You should really be going through Building Control for this job Steve, although where I live people rarely bother, even for extensions.
I think a days work is a bit optimistic, although maybe I am just getting a bit slower these days.
The door does look like it's going to be quite close to the corner.
Is it face brickwork or rendered?

Sponsored Links
Is this the case even with a solid wall with a tie-in course every 5 courses?

What if I REALLY wanted a door there? :LOL: Could I have some kind of steel box arrangement, where the header lintel is supported on two steel legs?

Looking at the small window currently there, it has no lintel above it, and there is a "triangle" of bricks above where its cracked. The column of bricks between the small window and the door looks weak. I dont see how shoving a lintel in a 10ft span will weaken this.

You need to talk to the BCO about this if going through BC. He might want an SE to work something out.
In your case with the window already there he may allow it a bit closer to the corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back