2 lintels above french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

i'm installing french doors in an opening where there was already a window, but the height will be about half a foot less than the old opening.

there is already a lintel in place that is perfectly fine for the opening just too high.

what i want to know is- is it ok just to leave the old lintel in place, install a new metal T lintel at the right hight and brick up the gap inbetween to bring it down to the right height as this is a lot easier than having too remove the old one and replace completely at the new height.

or to comply with building regs would i need to do the latter.

Sponsored Links
You will still need to remove the supporting masonry in order to be able to fit the new lintel.

I guess if you strongboy+acro the existing lintel it will act as a prop, so go ahead and fill ya boots.

What height from dpc is the existing lintel/window head height?

The plan was to use stronghold to hold up the existing lintel while a,notch is cut to slide the other in underneath.

Current lintel is about 2 metres above the dpc.

Not sure if it makes a difference but it's a solid double skin brick wall and existing lintel is a 8x4 wooden one.

Current lintel is about 2 metres above the dpc.
2m.......??? And you are going lower.... :confused: Are these new french doors from a pygmy web site?

If the existing lintel is timber then it may be wise to bite the bullet and get rid.

Sponsored Links
Standard or typical lintel height would be 2.1m. Anything a lot less would mean slightly squat doors especially with upvc profiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back