Approximate date of installation or type of cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Does anybody know where I can find information about the approximate phase-out dates for cable types? i.e. when was twin lighting cable phased out etc. (as opposed to T&E)

Or, any other tips on identifying the age of an installation?

This is all given that the installation hasn't been hacked around so much it's now impossible to tell.

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Here's an interesting fireside read ...

The History of Electric Wires and Cables (R.M. Black) available from the IEE or Amazon at £55.

Jeds, if the cable is twin witrh no earth core, what is the outer sheath made of?

If it is twin PVC, then it is in excess of 35 years, Lead, in excess of 45 years.

Since around the late 1960's all twin PVC had an unsheathed Earth core in it, so if it isn't there..it's OLD!!

yeah i wouldn't be too surprised at finding twin flex in an installation either (yes i know you are not supposed to use it)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response. The cable is 1mm uPVC twin with no earth conductor. From what you say at least 35 years old then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back