April fool - but...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This story here is the Torygraph's April fool joke, about ferrets being used to inspect underground cables, but it reminded me of a story I heard a few years ago whilst on a course:

The guy said that he was working in a large industrial unit and had to pull a large SWA cable through a long underground duct (some idiots had pull out the old cable without leaving a draw-rope). After much headscratching, one of them went home and returned with his pet ferret. They tied some cotton around the ferret and sent it scurrying down the duct - it appeared at the other end with the cotton behind it. They pulled some string though with the cotton, then some rope with the string, and finally the SWA with the rope.

I can't see any reason why this couldn't actually happen, but it does sound a bit ubran myth-like. Has anyone else heard this before? :?:[/url]

Sponsored Links
I actually heard they use ferrets for wiring up planes and this wasn't an april fools. Not sure where I heard it (Sky or BBC news I believe);

Also they use rats to find landmines, thats pretty awesome also I think!

there was an article on a news program of some old boy using his dog under the floorboards to pull cables through.

Question is, can you put that down as a legitimate expense, and what would the customer think?

Believe the GPO, as it was, used to use ferrets to pull draw wires through ducting.

Sponsored Links
they use moles to pull cables and pipes through the dirt without the need to dig up carparks and such... and no not a joke

You should be so lucky.

When I were a lad I got stuffed up chimneys. :LOL:

Our Dads used to murder us all, in cold blood, every night, and that's if we were lucky.

Tell kids today and they don't believe us.
They think we are barking mad.

i was forced to live in a damp shoe box in the middle of the road.
Sir faradayski (father) used to beat us until we bled through the eyes and then thanked him for it.
Had to get up 6 hours before we went to bed 7 days a week.
only ever had coal to eat.
Squeezed the juice from our boils if we were thirsty.

The thought of being shoved into a nice dry floor void tied to cables was a christmas treat.

Kids today, eh? - don't even know the're born. pffftt

A bag, slim rope and a compressor are the tools most often used to get a rope back in the duct ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back