Aqua panel boards on finished plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just noticed the mastic at the bottom of the shower tray has come away causing the water to seep up behind the tiles.

When I removed the tiles I noticed the area had spread up to almost the shower unit, my question is once the wall is completely dry would it be a good idea to fit aqua panel boards on to the plastered wall and tile on top of the boards or would it be better to re plaster the affected area, seal and tile on top of that.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have used aqua panel boards on a number of installations and they are stated as being water resistant. Excellent for fitting against badly plastered walls and seem to do at they say on the tin.
Couple of issues though!
You will need to use the appropriate screws for the job.
Also because they are predominately cement based they are heavy and will need additional support - I used battens.
Don't forget you will need a good saw capable of cutting through cement or a sharp (soon to be blunt) Stanley knife.

[not sure what this is doing in the Electrics forum!]
I have used aqua panel boards on a number of installations and they are stated as being water resistant. ... Don't forget you will need a good saw capable of cutting through cement or a sharp (soon to be blunt) Stanley knife.
It's great stuff. It will certainly blunt the blade quickly, but (for simple straight cuts), you don't need to score it very much with a Stanley knife in order to be able to 'snap' it, just like plasterboard.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Just to jump in here. if you already have a plastered wall then your probably best off just applying a liquid tanking product instead of overboarding with aqua panel.

If its not too late, i can give you some more info on this - or you can search the forum for tanking. a kit costing around £40 would do you nicely.

Just to jump in here. if you already have a plastered wall then your probably best off just applying a liquid tanking product instead of overboarding with aqua panel.
Would you be happy to do that if, as the OP described, a substantial area of the plaster had been wet for an indeterminate period of time? The OP did ask whether he should 'replaster and seal' or use Aquapanel, so I imagine he was assuming that the damaged plaster could no longer be relied upon as a base for the tiles.

Kind Regards, John

i can see why your reading it that way, and if your right then no i wouldn't tank over it.

I read
my question is once the wall is completely dry would it be a good idea to fit aqua panel boards on to the plastered wall
to mean that after a good airing it would dry out - i'm assuming there is no damage behind the skim. In fairness if the substrate is damaged i'd chop it out and replace it rather than overboard it

Hi all,

The plaster is only slightly damaged under the shower unit on the wall, which seem surprising as the issue could have been going on for some while.

The plaster is now almost completely dry which is a bonus, but if i am honest i do not trust the plaster to seal and re tile on.

Thanks for all of your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back