Aqualisa Classic Aquavalve 200 Thermostatic repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Aqualisa Classic 200 mixer installed which has developed a persistent drip even though the valve is fully closed.

What is the likely cause and how do I take it apart to repair it?

I'm in NW London so the water is reasonably hard (limescale buildup?) or is it a worn washer/valve that needs replacing.

It's at least 15 years old so not worth repairing if it's going to be expensive to do so.

There's an exploded diagram of the thing here

Sponsored Links
Hi.
A dripping Aqualisa usually means that the cartridge needs replacing.

You can get them off the internet if you shop around for £70 ish.

You will also need some silicone grease on one of the new 'o' rings.

Give Aqualisa a call and they will advise you on which cartridge to get. Best to get the grey thermostatic type imho.

Andy.

Thanks very much for the tip

The best price I have found for the cartridge is 54.36 +VAT from HIE Plumbing Direct
http://www.h-i-e.co.uk/acatalog/Aqualisa_Cartridges_Only.html

But I've also found an "Aqualisa Cartridge Screwdriver" on eBay here

Is the screwdriver a requirement or can you use an ordinary Philips head screwdriver to do the job?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Is the screwdriver a requirement or can you use an ordinary Philips head screwdriver to do the job?

I have never used one so not sure. Phillips works for me.

Don't forget to phone Aqualisa to establish the correct cartridge for your system.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

In fact there's a suggestion on the discussion forum here that if it's dripping from the shower head then it's just the O ring that needs replacing - but it seems that only Aqualisa supply the O rings.

I'll contact them on Monday and also take the old one round to my local plumbers merchants to see if they can match it.

the O ring is supplied with the replacement cartridge or only available from aqualisa
the O ring is the hot water seal located in groove at rear of body after cartridge is removed you will require a bent hook to remove the old one.
the cold O ring seal is located inside the cartridge and is not replaceable
(you need to replace the cartridge)
you will have to determine if it's hot or cold that's letting by if it's hot you can just replace the hot O ring seal if it's cold the complete cartridge will need replacing and hot seal at same time
99% of times it's the cold seal

Hope this helps

Steve

I'm not sure if worn 'O' rings inside the cartridge can cause the leaking valve problem, but for those who want to try I have managed to disassemble a grey (022801) Aqualisa thermostatic cartridge to gain access to the 'O' rings inside. First (after turning off supplies) remove the cartridge from the wall housing by pulling off flow knob, 4 screws on temp ring and 4 screws holding in cartridge. Undo the black turretted ring around the splined knob that the flow control cover pushes onto. I used a pair of long nosed pliers, a leg in a notch each side and turned anti-clockwise to remove. Behind this is a white ceramic/PTFE looking washer, which is easily removed. The grey coloured ring does not need to be removed. Then twist and pull the black splined piece to remove it. Then you can push out the white spiral ended central shaft by pushing something undamaging, like a pencil, through the metal cylinder from the rear end. You should now see the 3 'O' rings on this plastic shaft and they can be recoated in silicone grease. I have not yet looked for replacement items for these, two seem to be a stepped type of profile, not just your average donut shape. Am going to see if silicone grease addition will cure the leak first.

Re-assembly is the reverse process, the only tricky bit is getting theblack splined piece back in with the white shaft to go right in. The white shaft's disc end has two notches which need to line up with the corresponding lumps in the cartridge recess. If you just push the disc end far enough so it locates over these lumps, you should find the black knob will twist right into the housing with the white shaft. Only the splined part should protrude. If you can see the hollow bits, it's not far enough in. Then just replace the washer and the end ring can be tightened up again, before the cartridge is replaced in to the housing and all screws retightened, ensuring the ring gasket is properly positioned at the rear of the cartridge body to form a good seal with the wall housing.

Hope this helps. If anyone believes these seals rather than cracks in the cartridge can cause the problem then it would be nice to be able to get hold of the 'O' rings themselves and replace these rather than just a re-grease, perhaps from Aqualisa? Cheaper and greener than £70+ for a new cartridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back