Aqualisa O ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all

Trying to replace the flow control washer on an Aqualisa 430 mixer valve.

http://www.aqualisa.co.uk/80256D500...52580256D63003BC2D3&section=customer_services

Problem 1: Can't get the shaft out so there's only a tiny amount of clearance between it and the surrounding tube.

Problem 2: Despite this, just managed to slip a normal O ring (from Plumb Center) into the seat. But the ring isn't fat enough to stop the flow.

Anyone come across this before? Can the shaft be removed? I can't see a way of doing it without risking breaking the whole thing. And are fatter rings available?

Looking at the blow-up diagram (link above), the washer is not listed as a separate item. Has our disposable society reached the point where you have to throw away a hundred quid's worth of ironmongery for the sake of a penny washer?

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
These shower have a habit of the cartridge plastic developing hairline cracks that will leak no mater what seal you use, you have to replace the cartridge complete and there are different colour cartridges for different pressures, even known to go through 2-3 cartridges in 5 years they seem to fail most when you turn of the shower to quick causing hydraulic shock to the unit.

I prefer mira showers especially the excel, cheaper and never had one fail yet

Worrying. Thanks, Gazza. Do you think it's not the O ring at all but a hairline crack? Can't see one. The unit is about 10 years old. It can't have suffered that much hydraulic shock as there's only about 6ft head of water, hot and cold (flow surprisingly good, though).

Back to original question: If it's not cracked, can the washer be replaced?

Phone up the manufactures, use slicone grease on the o ring, there are metric and imperial o rings, the plumb centre supply them but you would have to buy a box of assorted washers/o rings ,

try HRPChttp://www.partscenter.co.uk/hrpc/default.html they might be able to get hold of just the o ring or the complete catridge is about £100 part no pink catridge D50650, grey D50640,you will need to check which cartidge is suitable for you system.grey most probable

Sponsored Links
Paul,

Corgigazza is giving good advice. I replaced a cartridge in an Aqualisa about a year ago, and the new cartridge has just failed (would not shut off!). But to their credit, Aqualisa have supplied a new cartridge free of charge.

I would just add that I think the replacement O ring comes with the new cartridge. The O ring sits in a recess in the main housing, and it's very tricky to remove the old one (aqualisa suggest crochet hook!) - you may need to bend a large needle to hook it out.

Thanks for your help, guys. I have actually got the old O-ring out, wrecked in the process. It's the new one that isn't doing the job. Or maybe one of Corgigazza's cracks is to blame.

Will call Aqualisa on Monday. It would be a miracle if they replace the unit FoC after 10 years. Then again, why shouldn't we expect a piece like this to last? I'm sick and tired of built-in obsolescence.

PaulAH said:
................................................ I'm sick and tired of built-in obsolescence.

Hmmm, I wonder if you are really. A nice Ford Model T perhaps? (Black, of course, you could have any other colour as long as it's black). Or maybe a nice IBM PC? 1MHz clock, 640K RAM, 10M hard drive, 180K floppy (5 1/4").

Stuff that, let's have obsolescence. I've decided modern alkyd paints are obselete, and I'm going for the new-fangled linseed oil paint, I've found a hand grinder so I can produce freshly ground flour, none of this stale stuff in packets business (the corn cost £5 for 25kg), and my scythes should be here in a week or so. Then I won't have to put up with the roar of the blasted mower or the screaming strimmer. You'll have to convert soon, that's the nature of progress.

Aqualisa kindly sent me a gratis repair kit (although it took three phone calls before the thing actually arrived). The O ring looks too small - when seated in the groove it's no wider than the shaft itself. But this is theoretical, for water is now spewing out of the front knob.

I've had the cartridge to pieces as as far as it will dismantle and cannot for the life of me see where the leak is. Inspected the plastic very closely (corgigazza, chrishutt) and cannot see any fault. Assuming the body is intact, it can only be the large seal around the mixer boss or the other O ring at the base. They all look perfect. Any ideas (other than a new cartridge)?

Oilman, I know you don't drink so how come your last looks like the work of an inebriate?

Splendid fellow you are, CG. Unfortunately that was the thermostatic version - mine's a manual. I'll keep looking. I still (perversely?) think the old one can be fixed, despite Oilman's theories.

Very close but looks like an earlier model. Is that brass? Mine's got plastic (nylon?) sleeves. There's progress for you.

Thanks again. CorgiG.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back