Aqualisa shower not working - making very high pitch noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think my pump on my Aqualisa Quartz Digital Shower has gone kaput!

I was having a shower & all of a sudden it started spluttering, so I turned it off & it didn’t want to come back on.

After resetting it (turning it on & off again at the mains!) the pump unit is making a very high pitch whirling noise & only a small dribble comes out of the shower. It sounds to me that the impeller in the pump has gone.

Does this sound like a right diagnostic? Or could it be something else.

I'll be calling Aqualisa (shower only 2 years old) on Monday but I just wanted other people’s opinions.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it is just air locked. Take the shower head off the wall and place low down in the tray - turn shower on until water comes back into the pump.

Allan

If the digital/pump unit is getting water & it's not airlocked then it does sound faulty.
Some Aqualisa digital showers (I know the Visage does) have a no quible 5 year guarantee, If there's a problem with it they should get their engineer to fit a new box for you for free.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it is just air locked. Take the shower head off the wall and place low down in the tray - turn shower on until water comes back into the pump.

Allan

Good call!! :D

I just removed the shower head, let the hose dangle on to the shower tray & the shower started working. :LOL:

Thanks for the info.

btw, is this normal or is it the start of some underlying problem that should be delt with asap. I ask this 'cos I've had the shower installed for 2 years & its the first time this has happened.

Cheers.

Good call!! :D

I just removed the shower head, let the hose dangle on to the shower tray & the shower started working. :LOL:

Thanks for the info.

btw, is this normal or is it the start of some underlying problem that should be delt with asap. I ask this 'cos I've had the shower installed for 2 years & its the first time this has happened.

Cheers.
I just spent 30 minutes on the phone to Aqualisa explaining the same symptoms and all they could offer me was a £360 engineer visit - they were adamant it was a serious problem. I tried the solution suggested (hose on shower floor) and it started working immediately.

Thank you!

It's either not installed properly or you managed to drain the cold water cistern....either way it's not a warranty issue.

Thanks, I thought that would be the case. I'm interested in any other thoughts you have on this? There are two things (BTW, the system was installed in 2006 and has always had these 'issues', but generally works fine the 3-4 times per day it gets used)
1. When one of my kids stays in the shower for too long and 'uses up' the hot water (gravity system / hot water tank with cistern in roof), the pump makes the high pitched noise and has to be turned off. I assume that this is because it is starved of water.
2. Every time we use the shower, 2-3 minutes in there will be a much lower pitched but very loud hum / noise for around 10 seconds, which then subsides. During this time, the shower continues working absolutely fine.

Any views appreciated!

Consider fitting a flow limiter to the shower hose/head if the flowrate's excessive.
Check the cold cistern is filling properly..ie. check the float valve.
Perhaps increase the cistern capacity.
Consider an electrical float valve fitted to the cistern to shut off the pump when the water level becomes too low.

I think you've been lucky for the pump to have survived given the abuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back