Aquapanel Board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick one, looking to rip out my old shower room and replacing the plasterboard in the shower area with aquapanel board.

A couple of questions:

1. what type of fixings do you use to fix to a battened wall
2. what type of fixings do you use to fix to a solid block wall
3. Whats best to filler to fill the joins with before tiling

And is this the best type of board to use? Is there alternatives?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
This is an excellent product and works extremely well.....use plated csk woodscrews to fix to battens and similar with 6mm plugs direct to the wall. There is an adhesive by Knauf to stick the edges together and its not strictly necessary to use a filler if the edges are tight. In all cases, get the boards as flat as possible. Wickes supply what you need.
John :)

Great, thanks for your advice.

Sorry just a couple of questions
1. Could I just not tank the existing plasterboard, would this be ok?
2. Someone mentioned Hardie board, is this better than aquapanel?
3. If I do use aquaboard/hardie board, would I need to apply a tanking kit for this?

Thanks again

Apprecaite your advice

Plasterboard is a pretty horrible medium in a wet area......all is fine so long as there is zero water penetration!
Personally I think the plasterboard should have a tanking solution applied - others may disagree - but aquapanel doesnt need it as its waterproof anyway, or rather it can absorb water without disintegrating.
As far as I know, Hardie and Aqua are one of the same......cement based boards perfect for tiling.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I prefer hardibacker as it doesn't crush at the edges when screwfixing it onto studs.
When dot and dabbing it to solid walls I pva the back just prior to installation.

Thanks again for your help. Ok, will get the correct fixing and the adhesive for the edges.

On their site it mentions it should be primed with their own primer, I cant seem to find this anywhere but is this the same as any plasterboard primer so I could use something like this https://www.toolstation.com/mapei-p...MIy4bEiIjI4wIVQbDtCh2zeAVnEAQYASABEgIc3vD_BwE

If it was you would you tank it as well?

Many thanks

Hi Guys, just wondered if anyone had any views on this, is this the correct forum for the question?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back