Aquapanel on top of plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the double-skinned plasterboard stud wall surface in my bathroom, which is also a party wall with my neighbour, hence the double-thickness plasterboard for fire regs.

As expected, once the tiles were removed, both layers of plasterboard behind the shower are damp and full of black mould, and the vapour barrier behind is covered in droplets of moisture. The front later of plasterboard was extremely soft and the tiles fell off with practically no encouragement.

The studs are at 600mm centres, so I'm adding extras to make them 300mm centres, and the plan is to fix a skin of plasterboard, then a poly vapor barrier followed by an outer skin of Aquapanel and finally tile & grout with 17kg/sqm floor/wall tiles. The idea of the poly barrier is to prevent moisture penetrating the Aquapanel from damaging the plasterboard behind.

However, my concern is that the only Aquapanel screws I can buy are 40mm, but Knauf's website recommends using longer 55mm screws for a double layer board construction which seem not to be available anywhere in the UK.

Do you think if I double the count of screws to one every 100mm rather than 200mm that this would sufficiently compensate for having only 15mm of screw penetration in the wooden studs?

Failing this, is it possible to use drywall screws with Aquapanel, or is this a non-starter? (lack of corrosion / strength / penetration ability?)

Sponsored Links
use some 5.0x60 woodscrews the type with a selfdrilling point and self countersinking head. Screwfixes Turbo Gold or Reisser R2 cutters will be fine. I use this type of screw all the time with AP and find they sink themselves better than teh AP screws

Jason

use some 5.0x60 woodscrews the type with a selfdrilling point and self countersinking head. Screwfixes Turbo Gold or Reisser R2 cutters will be fine. I use this type of screw all the time with AP and find they sink themselves better than teh AP screws

Jason

How are these screws for corrosion in damp conditions? I'm a little worried that they might rust and pop the tiles...

I've noty had any problems with them but I do skim the AP and tank it in wet areas. The plateing is as good as the AP screws and like both will chip off when the driver bit is used.

jason

Sponsored Links
timberdeck screws,50mm-100mm.,you may need to pilot holes first,these would be fine for corrosion etc..

Simple and better solution- double tack with p/board then tank the shower area, which properly waterproofs the shower unlike Aquapanel which is in no way waterproof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back