Architects Certificates v NHBC. ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, does anyone have an opinion on Building Defect guarantees?

We are fed up dealing with NHBC and are thinking of alternatives including Architects Certificates. Can anyone provide some feedback on these as a suitable alternative? Are they readily accepted by lenders.

Any thoughts/observations will be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
There are a few mainstream mortgage lenders that will not lend to purchasers on new builds without a warranty making architect certificates worthless in some cases in my experience.
As an alternative I would give LABC warranty a try if you are unhappy with NHBC, NHBC have so many standards that are not actually in the building regs hence why so many developers get fed up with their requests and standards.
But I am LABC biased :LOL:

There are a few mainstream mortgage lenders that will not lend to purchasers on new builds without a warranty making architect certificates worthless in some cases in my experience.
As an alternative I would give LABC warranty a try if you are unhappy with NHBC, NHBC have so many standards that are not actually in the building regs hence why so many developers get fed up with their requests and standards.

That is spot on the problem we are having with NHBC ......you seem to be happy with LABC who I understand are content for developers to simply comply with Building Regs

Sponsored Links
I've issued countless 'architects certificates' over the last ten years and I have never had any issue with lenders. Not once. It really comes down to cost. NHBC is extortionate and when have you ever heard of anybody making a successful claim against them? I have dealt with them many times on behalf of clients and they have more get-out clauses than Houdini.

I've issued countless 'architects certificates' over the last ten years and I have never had any issue with lenders. Not once. It really comes down to cost. NHBC is extortionate and when have you ever heard of anybody making a successful claim against them? I have dealt with them many times on behalf of clients and they have more get-out clauses than Houdini.
Again, Jed confirms my own experience. We build 7/8 units each year so there is a fair bit of wonga to be saved but only if we don't lose lenders.

I don't follow your reply.
my reply?? I am agreeing with Mikric that is, that the NHBC bring in so many additional requirements!! What part of that don't you understand :?:
I guess if you do the bare minimum every time I can see why you'd feel that way.
what a ridiculous comment to make and how sad are you that you need to try to make a petty point.
The UK building regs are, for good reason, the most draconian in the western world. Why would you want/need to do more?
Using your logic why stop at NHBC....lets have another set of regs over an above them
:rolleyes:

Just because a house meets Building Regs does not automatically make it a good house or of a high standard.

Just because a house meets Building Regs does not automatically make it a good house or of a high standard.
Well what a startling observation.....I presume with that degree of intellect you are a member of Mensa. Perhaps you might like to direct that brain power towards answering the effin question :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back