Arctic pile freeze help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
Hi,
I'm installing 2 new rads in the loft. I have pipe going from loft to the garage (pre installed when house was built) to above the baxi combi boiler.

Boiler has two out feeds, up stairs which I want to tap into, and another for downstairs. And one return. All are 22mm. All pipes come out of boiler the go vertical.

I need to (I think!) put a tee into the upstairs feed and a tee into the return. There are drain offs on both pipes just under the boiler.

My question is, if I freeze above where I want to make the cut and then open the drain offs, will that allow me to cut the pipe and do the work? Or will I get the full system emptying back through the boiler somehow?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Dont risk it with freezing spray. Why not just drain the system, Do the work and then refill and add inhibitor?

Why not freeze? The full system has 19 rads on, a lot of bleeding if I can get away with freezing.

If I freeze at the top and drain at the bottom would I get water everywhere?

Sponsored Links
Put it this way - if I did the job, I wouldn't take much more than 10 litres of water out of the system and spill next to nothing without using any freezing kit.

Knock all rad valves off both ends then drain the pipes.

Question, which drain off do I use? The one in the out feed going to up stairs of the one on the return, or both?

I'm assuming both?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back