Are all copper pipes made the same

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been pricing some 22mm and 15mm copper pipes from various plumbers and builder's merchant and there is surprising variation in prices (almost 50% difference between cheapest and most expensive). Is there any correlation to quality or should I just go for cheapest price? They are all BS kitemarked etc and all standard looking 3m lengths of copper.

Sponsored Links
The copper market is a volatile one. As a distributor we work to single-figure mark ups on domestic (15, 22 and 28MM) tube.
Price generally depends on when you make a booking at the mills/importers.

British and European manufactuted tube will generally be more expensive than Asian/South American made stuff.

Some of the cheaper tube may well be 'Lite' or 'System' tube and have a thinner wall than normal Table X copper tube. This will be classed as hard, which should not be bent, not half hard, which can be bent.

So what I need is Table X half hard copper. I'd also like if possible to buy british made, how do I check where its been made? Is it stamped on?

Sponsored Links
Blame the Chinese and their hoard of semi precious metals! grrrrr shake fist!

Bring on the Japanese they have found some way of getting the copper from below the sea bed off their coast. In which case there will be more competition and mean lower rice for us poor souls! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back