Are all shower valves as poorly designed as this one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a Pura shower valve like the one shown here, but I'm now having second thoughts about fitting it. It seems to be poorly designed and leave a leak path through into the wall.

The pictures below sum up the problem better.

There is a simple metal to metal joint for part of the knob assembly that doesn't have a seal to the wall plate. The wall plate itself is meant to be sealed/stuck with silicon onto the tiles, but the outer collar sits 'loose' and unsealed in the wall plate. I took this up with the manufacturer today and he confirmed that I wasn't missing any parts and that they had never had any problems. What is strange is that the design includes an O ring between the inner and outer collar, but this is pointless if the other joint is not sealed. There is also what looks like a circlip groove in the collar to hold it in the wall plate, but no circlips provided.

Are all these types of valves as poorly designed as this or are there any better designs? I'd rather return this one and get a better design.

Sponsored Links
It depends on who designed and manufactured it - sometimes design does not follow function . I would go with GROHE , that`s a name I personally trust

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back