Are Capped Pipes from Boiler Replacement "Active"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three years ago we had our conventional boiler replaced with a condensing boiler. The conventional boiler was in the garage, to which two water pipes used to run. These pipes were cut off and capped, but protrude into the void above the garage door.

We are now getting quotes for a roller shutter door for the garage, and the pipes are intruding into the space required for the door coil.

Our installers have said they can cut the pipes back, but they have raised the question as to whether the pipes are "live" or not.

There is one redundant pipe visible in the floor of the airing cupboard where the combi is installed (where the hot tank/pump/diverter valve used to be), which I'm guessing is the other end of one of the pipes in the garage, but is it likely the other pipe in the garage is still connected to something?

Sponsored Links
How can we know?

If they used compression caps you or they can slowly unscrew and see if water comes out.

If soldered they can drill a small hole.

Regardless it needs someone on site!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Even if it was a not live gas pipe then it should still be capped.

Tony

Thanks for all the responses. We have a central heating service next week, so I'll see what the engineer says.

I always cap off cut ends with compression caps even if they are dead

Just in case there is some strange on known pipework under the floor
And

I don't want people cutting them selves on sharp ends of pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back