Pipe routing to and from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have moved my boiler from kitchen to garage and it is now higher up than it used to be.
Its a vented system with header tank in loft.

I cut a void in the kitchen ceiling where the old flow and return pipes came down and ran them out into the garage through the wall @ this point(when ceiling is made good the pipes will be hidden between ceiling and floor.)
However the pipes now have to travel about 15" up to the boiler flow and returns...is this OK??
(read somewhere about pipes must travel upwards from a vented system...but im not sure if that was only WRT the actual vent pipe)

Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
Anyone any advice?...hoping to plumb it up tonight.
Thanks,
Marty.

Yes it has rto be a continuous rise, unless the boiler's OK for a sealed system. What is it?

Hi Chris,
Is it just the vent pipe to the header/top up tank that has to be a continuous rise?...if so then its not an issue...now that i think of it maybe my question is a bit daft!
The boiler is an ideal classic...nf 50 i think...

Sponsored Links
This will leave the boiler more prone to airlock problems. The installation manual should tell you what is required. Make sure the pump is a1 and stick a couple of aav in

Thanks Bengasman,
Unfortunately ive no manual for the boiler, i plumbed it up last night anyway with the rise in the pipes...i have no other real option unless i rip out the bath upstairs and even then im not sure.
Whats an aav again...Is it an automatic air vent?...i have one of those elsewhere on the system...will that suffice or should i put one also near the boiler?
Cheers,
Marty.

If the vent pipe has to go down anywhere between the boiler and the open end, you don't have a continuous rise and your boiler needs a modification to make it safe - a kit Ideal do.
Any such high point , especially on the flow, would benefit from an air vent, be it manual or auto.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply...im still just a tad unclear!!
The vent pipe itself doesnt actually at any point go down then up again.
But my supply and feed from boiler both do....and after they commence rising again the vent pipe is attached...is this OK...or should the piece of pipework between where the vent pipe intersects and the boiler be considered as part of the vent.

My mums heating is done like this...she is in a bungalow and the boiler is in the garage, the pipes come from the boiler and immediately down to ground level and under the floor of the house to the rads etc. and the vent pipe is just taken off the circuit in the hotpress...and this was "professionally fitted"...is hers wrong too?

Many thanks,
Marty.

Thanks Terry!
That means my mums is hooked up wrong the last 15 years!!
Ill sort it somehow so the vent starts @ the boiler....probably easier to run a new vent altogether as the original doesnt lend itself to this installation.
Thanks everyone!!
Marty.

The vent pipe starts at the boiler flow connection!!!

The ventpipe AND the feed pipe should be close to the pump on the inlet side. If the pump happens to be a distance from the boiler, it means the ventpipe does NOT start near the flow connection.
Regardless of the above, if flow and return pipe go down from the boiler you should put at least one and better two, 1 on flow and 1 on return, automatic airvents right above the boiler. If nothing else, this will make sure your boiler never has air in it.
Much better solution in your case would be to convert to sealed system, which is substantially better than an open vent anyway. Simple job and not expensive.

Thanks bengasman,
Pump is about 7 feet from boiler i would imagine(Me moving the boiler hasnt increased this)..ill put in the AAVs like you say.
Id be interested in converting to a sealed system...illl start a new thread asking about this!
Cheers,
Martin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back