Location of F+E tank/pipe and vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From what I understand, on a central heating system the fill and expansion pipe and the vent pipe should be taken off the the main flow pipe before the pump, and also be taken off within 150 mm of each other. (I have seen indications from posts on here that there may be other suitable arrangements but I don't really understand the parameters). In addition, the minimum the top of the vent pipe can be above the level of the top of the boiler and/or pump (presume of whichever is highest) is about 2 metres. (Not really sure if the level above the boiler matters so much as the level above the pump, nor am I sure about what height difference is allowable between the boiler and pump).

Also, from a boiler manufacturer's installation instructions I understand that "the vent must rise continuously and be unrestricted". I take this to mean that the vent pipe needs to go straight up at 90 degrees to the flow pipe without any horizontal component. Now this is just one manufacturer and I am wondering about this in general but it makes sense to me that in all cases it would at least be better if it does go straight up.

The background situation is basically I have a flat roofed garage about 2.4 m high with the boiler in (probably not enough height for f+e tank and/or vent pipe - understand vent pipe could in theory go to alternate place than over f+e tank as long as it wouldn't freeze and went into a drain), and would like to keep boiler there. Currently system is Primatic, and current gravity hot water pipes have about a total of 12m horizontal run on them (with some vertical component too of course) to get to the cylinder in an upstairs bedroom cupboard (through these pipes as I understand the system has been successfully filling - after leaks -, allowing expansion and venting itself for many years). Minimum horizontal run for any pipes coming from the boiler and into the house is about 5m. I am thinking about trying to change away from a Primatic system to a system with a f+e tank.

Question - what kind of problems would be caused if the vent pipe and f+e pipe were taken off near the boiler (at ground level) and ultimately run upwards to the loft but with a large section of those pipes (say 10m) running horizontally or gently sloping upwards? To me it seems a bad idea to have such a long run for those kind of pipes which perform a regulation function anyway, but could it in theory work?

As for other options:

One - would there possibly be enough height in 2.4 m to install f+e tank in garage, particulalry if height over the pump was the more important as opposed to height over the boiler?

Two, currently the pump for the central heating is near the floor in the garage - the flow and return for upstairs and downstairs rads all come into that general area of the garage. I presume there would be an option to change all the radiator plumbing and just run a main flow and return from the boiler into the house then make all the other connections inside the house, thus allowing for the vertical rise of vent pipe and f+e pipe straight into the loft taken off the flow pipe somewhere in the house and just before the pump. (Downside is pump is in house and even the quietest must introduce some noise, plus replumbing). With this option, could I have the main flow and returns from the boiler taking the same route as the current gravity hot water flow and returns (i.e. about 2m vertically and 12m horizontally), then put the pump and f+e and vent pipes in the cupboard with the new cylinder? Or should the flow pipe not run so much up or so much across before introducing the pump? (Have to admit also with this latter route for feeding the downstairs radiators it would seem to be working against gravity - maybe this doesn't matter at all in the new fangled world of pumps!, also being in the middle of the house a bit messy and inelegant feeding all the radiators from there).

Sponsored Links
No replies yet but replies to other posts - my original post too long probably!

Let me ask bit by bit:

Does it matter if the fill and expansion pipe and the vent pipe in a central heating system have a long horizontal run (10m or more) before rising to the F+E tank)?

Can the f+e pipe and the vent pipe have any horizontal or diagonal run in them or do they have to be completely vertical from the point where they leave the main flow pipe?

Sponsored Links
It can be slightly diagonal but always best to keep as vertical as possible so the system can vent properly. Air does not rise properly in the horizontal. Regards chrisey

Why are you asking, are you having a new boiler put in or is it that you are having problems with what you've got? Fell asleep reading your first post.

Thanks for the advice chrisey.

Sooey, I have no problems with the existing system but will have to change 30 year old boiler eventually. New boilers don't work with primatic systems. The existing system as said above is primatic and the pipes leading to the primatic cylinder do have a very long horizontal run - but maybe you can consider in these systems that the equivalent of the f+e and vent pipe - I know there actually isn't one - is "taken off" at the point where the main gravity pipes join the cylinder itself/inside the cylinder.

(As a side note the current system has been so reliable that I would frankly prefer if regulations allowed it just to put in a straight replacment! Ironic when plumbers often go on about how bad primatics are. An extra few hundred pounds a year in heating bills are nothing compared to the hassle and expense of having an unlreliable heatng system - and that unfortunately is a risk I will take with a new system. - and it pobably isn't that much anyway, the best BG could come up with on a tailored efficiency calculation to tempt me into a new boiler was tha I "might" save up to £135 a year; take a while to get that back on £4000 outlay!)

British gas on a quote suggested that the f+e tank be placed in a cupboard even further (horizontally) away from the boiler than the current primatic cylinder (about 13m). Wonder if an engineer would have had to change this when came to install. (or as I said above, is it possible to run the main feed pipe from the boiler a long way horizontally to a point directly under the f+e tank and at that point take off the f+e and vent pipe and then put the pump after those?)

Been doing some reading of old DIY book (pretty detailed even though is DIY) and it doesn't make such a fuss about the vent and f+e pipes being taken off within 15 cm of each other, and also suggests pump can be on the return pipe (I think I have seen this alluded to on other posts here even though mostly people recommend it being just after f+e and vent on flow pipe). Of course it is all down to negative and positive pressure and these perhaps producing undesirable/unsafe effects?

Have you not considered a combi Dave :?:

You could get rid of all those pipes and tanks and cylinder :D

you can fit a Vaillant 400 series boiler on open vented and they seem to be an ok boiler
as for vent pipe as said before no horizontal pipes 1:12 rise or greater is advisable, distance is not a problem but connection directly before pump is optimum

kev

as the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it

Kevindgas, I don't think those range work on gravity hot water do they?(Which I must have if I am to keep primatic system.)

I know gravity hot water is not allowed on new installations but if there was a condensing boiler which could do grav hot water then it should be OK according to regs just to change the boiler?

(One side point - all the modern boilers that I've seen even with high kw ratings seem to have 22mm connections for flow and return, yet I have seen advice on this forum suggesting using 28mm pipe for high radiator loads - would using 28mm pipe when the boiler only has 22mm connections be any good??)

I always considered my house too large for a combi. The system is 14 radiators, the largest of which is about 3m by 1.7m and many others almost that size. I read in my old DIY book that primatics aren't supposed to be used on systems over 135 litres (or something like that) - haven't measured but guess my system would be - it shouldn't work but does I suppose.

No condensers (that I know of anyway) work on gravity because you are not aloud to have it anymore*. You need to upgrade the system. Which means goodbye Mr Primatic abortion.

I just installed a 40kw boiler with 15mm gas and 22mm primary connections - the pipes feeding it were bigger though. Its all about heat dispersal.

The fact that you have 14 rads has naff all to do with a combi being too small. It is a matter of hot wate requirements. What are yours?

*Before any pedants kick off, I know about the points rule, adding zone valves/stats/by-passes onto gravity circuits and that not all of the UK has Part L.

When you change the boiler, you'll bin the cylinder as well. Then you would normally pressurise/seal a system like yours, so there's no need for f/e arrangements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back