vented gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have had a boiler installed in my garage, the pipe comes in one side, goes up the wall, into the ceiling which is below the bedroom above, across then comes out and down the wall the other side into the boiler. I have since seen something mentioned about venting gas pipes in voids. should my gas fitter have vented this or am i worrying over nothing?

Sponsored Links
Not a gas fitter, but would have thought providing airflow through the void would be sensible. If there were a slight leak up there, and a spark from eg a light fitting occurred, then this sounds potentially problematic. Having said that, the gas fitter wouldn't have left it deliberately unsafe.

most likely there is ventilation in the floor space anyway so no need to do anything else.
the requirement for ventilation is when pipes are laid in ducts not when laid under the floor.

I like it when I discover I'm talking through my a r s e :oops:

Sponsored Links
most likely there is ventilation in the floor space anyway so no need to do anything else.
the requirement for ventilation is when pipes are laid in ducts not when laid under the floor.

protected shaft's/ ducts i think

but the req don't normally apply to domestic dwellings

unless some git has changed the rules :confused:

Corgi TB 217 clarified this issue. Gas pipes in floor voids don't require extra ventilation. Pipes in ducts require ventilation if the cross sectional area is greater than 0.01 square metres or a volume of less than 0.1 cu m.

something mentioned about venting gas pipes in voids

you could have read that when a gas pipe runs through a cavity wall. it must be sleved with an appropiate material to stop the gas venting into cavity.

Corgi TB 217 clarified this issue. Gas pipes in floor voids don't require extra ventilation. Pipes in ducts require ventilation if the cross sectional area is greater than 0.01 square metres or a volume of less than 0.1 cu m.
i haven't got time to look at this TB before posting so it might be included, there is a debate at the moment of how to fit a gas pipe through a sub floor which is new and complies with building/fire regs as this is deemed to be an unventilated void, CORGI discussed it for years and didn't resolve it, so technically at the moment if you run a gas pipe through a new(glued/screwed chipboard) sub floor it unventilated as per building regs, and should be ventilated if you want to fit a gas pipe, so you cannot do it, a lot of people are now running gas pipes round or up and through the loft to get round this, the earlier post of it not relating to domestic properties is not right i'm afraid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back