are cavity vents available to retro fit in stone walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to put a couple of cavity vents in an old stone wall about 2 foot thick to allow the new timber framing and insulation to brathe. As youll know modren homes use the thin air slots as they build with concrete block but it wouldnt be an option for retro fitting.

Is there a round vent for this purpose available off the shelf I can use or will I have to find something to do the job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to think carefully about whether the frame needs to breathe, or whether introducing air is a recipe for condensation

Sponsored Links
You need to think carefully about whether the frame needs to breathe, or whether introducing air is a recipe for condensation

This is the can of worms question. For the main part of the house which has a suspended timber floor I have put sheeps wool against the back inside face of the stone walls and plasterboarded the room side without leaving a cavity. My joiner thinks Im mad but Ive done a lot of detailed reading on study's and spoken to a lot of seperate people and someone whos done it this way. So far its been perfect. Air can flow from under the floor up the back of the plaster walls to the loft space as it did it is now just slowed by the sheeps wool. The stone walls are 2 foot thick and have a cement based dry dash so are very watertight.

The washroom Ive asked about above is a lean to single room with a concrete floor. It has a half pitched roof which is the house roof extended so there is a loft space open right into the house eaves.

I may go with your suggestion and not add the stone wall vents but make sure the sheeps wool in the loft there does not cover the top of the cavity down the back of the new kingspan lined partition. This would mean there is no air restriction down the back of the wall and the loft space is vented well through the old style slated roof.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back