Are cold taps usually fed from mains or header tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having an argument. Our building's manager is trying to tell me that cold taps are always fed off the mains and that the cold water header tank is only used to feed the hot water system. Yet I'm 90% sure that in my last two houses, the bathroom and cloakroom taps were fed from the header tank too (which he claims would be illegal and a "heath and safety issue") (which is presumably why I've always been told to only drink water from a kitchen sink tap).

Does anyone know if it's normal for bathroom cold taps to be fed from the loft header tank or the mains?

Nick...

Sponsored Links
could be either,depending on installation practice or local water bye laws.i work at a hospital and all water to the wards, clinics and kitchen is fed via one large external tank and boost pumps.

Never believe anyone who quotes Health and Safety as a "reason".

nmg196 said:
Hi,

I'm having an argument. Our building's manager is trying to tell me that cold taps are always fed off the mains and that the cold water header tank is only used to feed the hot water system. Yet I'm 90% sure that in my last two houses, the bathroom and cloakroom taps were fed from the header tank too (which he claims would be illegal and a "heath and safety issue") (which is presumably why I've always been told to only drink water from a kitchen sink tap).

Does anyone know if it's normal for bathroom cold taps to be fed from the loft header tank or the mains?
In a house, traditionally most cold services (except kitchen tap) are tank-fed. In a block of flats, which I surmise is where you are, it's traditional to feed all cold services from the mains.

When he says illegal, he might well be referring to the water regulation that prohibits a tank-fed kitchen cold tap. However, providing tank-fed cold in a block of flats would be impractical and expensive, and I can think of reasons why it might actually be illegal.

Sponsored Links
We must be a non traditional house then, all of our water is mains fed.

all mains fed where I live except balanced showers.

I wouldn't dream of piping a bathroom basin cold tap from a storage tank, people brush their teeth from it.

Paul Barker said:
all mains fed where I live except balanced showers.

I wouldn't dream of piping a bathroom basin cold tap from a storage tank, people brush their teeth from it.
No; that would be a pipe dream I suppose :evil:

Historically only the kitchen (and outside tap if one) were on the mains. Everything else (except ch), hot and cold from the main stroage tank thereby giving a 'balanced system' and no requirement for non-return valves on mixer taps etc. Cold main to one tap and tank fed hot to the other is 'unbalanced', ie will come out at differing pressures. Most modern builds now have either uv cylinder or thermal store for hot and mains cold which gets us back to a balanced system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back