Converting from header tank to mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My girlfriend's house has a cold water header tank in the loft that feeds to the hot water tank and all the cold taps except for the kitchen. My question is given that the mains must be feeding the tank and the cold outlet to all the taps must be one (or 2) of the tank outlets, would there be any issue with just re-routing the pipes so the mains is directly feeding the cold water taps? I'd obviously leave the tank connected to the hot water tank.

Reason for asking is that I'd like to fit an electric shower to the bathroom but the water pressure from the tank is not enough and the extra pipe work to get a mains supply to it would be also more work than I want to do.
Ta

Sponsored Links
A mains supply will exist at the cistern ballcock. Fairly easy to pick it up there and run to the electric shower.
If you change gravity cold pipework to high pressure mains cold then you risk leaks and unbalanced supplies at taps/mixer taps causing problems.

Last edited:
if the taps or other fittings are old, they may need replacing if they leak under high pressure. The filling valve in WC cisterns may need to be changed and may be noisier. the modern Fluidmaster valves are very quiet.

edit

too slow

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks. There aren't any mixer taps (apart from kitchen which is on mains) but the leakage possibility is a risk I suppose. The house isn't very old (~25yrs) so you'd hope it had good joints but it's hard to tell. Pity they put such an antiquated system in in the first place, my house 18yr old house has mains water to all the taps and makes getting a drink of water in the night so much easier !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back