are lead pipes illegal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Hope everyone had a good christmas.

I had a water pipe burst the other day and i've temporarily fixed it but its lead. are lead pipes illegal or not. i've searched the net and come out with mixed feelings. The insurance have agreed to fix the leak but i'm worried i'm gonna end up with one hell of a bill as the pipe is lead and i'm not supposed to have it!!!

Some are saying its illegal to repair them but not to have them.

Whilst others are saying if you have them they must be replaced.

I've tried searching on the water regulations website but cant seem to find a definite answer.

any help would be most appreciated.

cheers

John

Sponsored Links
It's not illegal to have or repair them as so many houses stil;l have them.I tell customers to replace them as its not very good for the kids health,the likes of us have drank from lead pipes for years so any damage will be done if any,but when you get the chance get it replaced from the outside stop tap as thats were you need to start from,using the blue alkthene

IF the internal pipes are lead ,I would very much doubt that the service pipe will be MDPE!!!

its the pipe going from outside the back door into the kitchen. What is MDPE?

cheers

John

Sponsored Links
No of course they are not illegal.
They can be rapaired, but not by soldering except for drains.
Use Lead-Loc or Lead-Line fittings, or similar.

They cannot be used for new installation.

MDPE= blue plastic.

many thanks mate. makes a lot more sense now. Was just worried that the insurance were gonna turn round and refuse to pay for the repairs.

many thanks again and hope you have a good new year.

john

IF the internal pipes are lead ,I would very much doubt that the service pipe will be MDPE!!!

Not necessarily, after 18 years working for the water board I can honestly say I've relayed thousands of service pipes & of them at least 50% were joined on to the existing lead pipe from the boundary.

Have a word with your water supplier they may do the work FOC if you do some of the ground work.

Get two quotes for the insurance Company one for the repair and one too replace.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that's replying to my post. the advice is much appreciated and i will be getting some quotes today HOPEFULLY!!! lol

thanks guys

John

Our local Council (Scotland) had part payment grants to replace lead pipework, maybe worth looking into if there is more to replace/change out.

Co.

It's not illegal to have or repair them as so many houses stil;l have them.I tell customers to replace them as its not very good for the kids health,the likes of us have drank from lead pipes for years so any damage will be done if any,but when you get the chance get it replaced from the outside stop tap as thats were you need to start from,using the blue alkthene

Another bit of bad advice from Zimmers!

You cannot repair them as that would involve soldering which is a definate no-no.

You can cut them and use a mechanical compression coupler to join to a piece of copper or plastic pipe.

That will usually require an earth bond across the repair unless the electrical bonding is totally up to standard in the whole of the property.

Tony

If lead was ok then why would manchester council replace all lead piping for FREE.

Also whenever work is done on a gas pipe we have been told that any lead has to be replaced.

Also whenever work is done on a gas pipe we have been told that any lead has to be replaced.

I dont know who told you that.

Certainly the gas transporters only replace a lead connection to a meter when they are doing other work at the property.

If you want it changed then you have to engineer a gas leak from it!

Tony

I have repaired lead by using lead locs or giving it a knock with my hammer,so again your proved wrong,i have noticed you get alot wrong are you still a apprentice,agile?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back