Are Marley Double Roman Smooth Grey roof tiles painted/coloured?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone tell me if Marley roof tiles ( or any other brand ) are painted or is the colouring added into the concrete mix?

I have a Smooth Grey Double Roman sample and it does seem to be obviously painted, with the top edge left unpainted, exposing the lighter coloured concrete substrate.

If it IS painted, how does that bode for colour fastness over the years?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Just had a reply from Marley stating they use an acrylic coloured coating, but wouldn't elaborate of the colour fastness. Reading about the problems Marley had a few years ago, I'm not convinced they will stay grey or any other colour they are were when fitted.

Do you prefer Redland for any reason? I tiled the porch 10 years ago with Sandtoft tiles and they have weathered darker to match the existing old clay tiles, but not faded. As I'm in the process of getting the whole roof done now, I am open to recommendations.

Sponsored Links
Like I say , my preference is always Redland .
Go to a merchant and see if they have one of each and compare

I have some samples coming, but apart from looks, why do you prefer Redland?

I'm not convinced they will stay grey or any other colour they are were when fitted.
Lol, its a roof for goodness sake! Its going to be hit with all known crud to mankind and then some. There are no concrete products on the market that can defy the weather and age. Clays fare much better but will become weathered or mucky.

I've never understood shiny (printed concrete) drives either.:cautious:

I know it's a roof...MY roof. No point in spending £10k for it to look like **** prematurely. ( weathering is acceptable/desirable, fading isn't)

They lay nicer . I've never stripped a concrete tile roof because of product failure.
But have stripped several times failed clay tiles including big names

They lay nicer . I've never stripped a concrete tile roof because of product failure.
But have stripped several times failed clay tiles including big names
Are clays still spalling, delaminating? I wasn't aware of any modern clays (double cambered) having this trouble?

How long do you want your roof to look shiny and new? You could pay to have it painted every 5 years if the weathering gets too distressing, I guess. I'm sure if you have a shiny drive, a posh grey car and the latest grey windows, your snobby mates won't even look at the roof.;)

Ive seen loads of block drives installed around my village - I notice because It’s my regular dog walk.

People choose these Marshall blocks, red, grey, pink, yellow - but after about 2 or so years they all fade to the sort of sludge colour.

Ive seen loads of block drives installed around my village - I notice because It’s my regular dog walk.

People choose these Marshall blocks, red, grey, pink, yellow - but after about 2 or so years they all fade to the sort of sludge colour.
Concrete by comparison fares poorly in the weather durability stakes. We used to have concrete slabs out back, but they soon get mucky with the trees. The real stone fellas down now (2 years) come up brand new every powered wash....

How long do you want your roof to look shiny and new? You could pay to have it painted every 5 years if the weathering gets too distressing, I guess. I'm sure if you have a shiny drive, a posh grey car and the latest grey windows, your snobby mates won't even look at the roof.;)
What the **** is your problem?

double cambered)
The last roof we replaced was completed just at the start at the first lockdown. North elevation only .
They were hand a crafted plain tile made by a popular company.
At over a pound each .
We have also replaced a clay Norfolk pan tile roof in 5 years. Obviously camber does not apply, these were by one of the biggest manufacturers in the UK .
All under warranty I should add.
That aside , clay does look the part and better to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back