Are my airbricks to close to ground?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The airbricks (2) at the front of the house are sightly above ground level. When it rains heavily it smells slightly musty in living room by the window (where the airbricks are). Wondering if rain is going under the house. if they're too low, what methods should be used to rectify it?
Please see the photos attached.

Sponsored Links
Have you been under the floor and examined the area behind the air bricks.
The concrete is too high.
The lighter concrete near the wall appears less damp than the darker, greenish concrete 300mm off the wall implying that there's a slight rise in the surface near the wall.
Can you point out on a pic where your DPC line is?

Is the wall solid?
Do you have any damp issues inside the house on the inside of the wall?

Hello, I have got an identical problem !
Thinking of digging up and lowering the path. My sub floor joists are damp and need to possibley be changed. The place is damp. I wake up to damp clothing etc. I recently bought a dehumidifier and on frst use the tank filled up half way. I am 70 yrs old widow and I have just bought this place. The worry is now keeping me awake at night. If the Airbricks can't be moved or the path dug lower I don't know what I can do. I shall be interested to follow your post.

The cement is too high, this often gets done as people overlook the air vents and their need to be above ground level.

Try looking for "snorkelvent" and see if you can get something like that fitted.

Designed to prevent flooding they should also stop the rain coming in.

https://www.snorkelvent.co.uk/shop/snorkel-vents/1-standard-model.html

Although some of the cement will need chipping away so there is enough to seal to at the bottom.

However, can you lift the flooring the other side of these bricks and look and explore underneath? It may be a different thing thats causing this problem, could even be rising ground water coming up through the ground.
Exploring is the best way to identify the problem.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have you been under the floor and examined the area behind the air bricks.
Can you point out on a pic where your DPC line is?

Is the wall solid?
Do you have any damp issues inside the house on the inside of the wall?

However, can you lift the flooring the other side of these bricks and look and explore underneath? It may be a different thing thats causing this problem, could even be rising ground water coming up through the ground.
Exploring is the best way to identify the problem.

Hi Ted and mattylad, thanks for your response.
The house is 1930 but has solid walls.
Last time I saw under the floor there was late last year and it seemed OK. I'm due to redo the floor there soon, so I can check under the floor again.
At the moment the wall is not damp, but there may be signs that it was previously.
I'm not sure if the dpc is above or below the airbrick, I don't know how to identify it.

Snorklevent looks interesting but if I still need to make room below the airbrick I'd rather just make a gulley around it if that's viable.
Rising ground water is an interesting idea and something I was wondering if that could happen.

If I lower the concrete, would I just do it around the brick? If so, when water goes into the gulley where does it go? Just seep into the earth assuming I've gone past the concrete?

The previous owners here have cut a gulley in the concrete that was up against the build. It is 3 inches wide by about 6ft long and they have filled it with shingle to assist drainage. On the inside of my property on both walls either side of this rogue corner there is damp coming up from the bottom. There is therefore the possibility that I have rising water from ground. I hope not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back