Are steel baths any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bath to change and noticed screwfix do an Ariston steel bath in the size I require for £79.

I'm not a plumber so don't know the pros and cons of this type of bath over
Acrylic. Also what sort of weight are these kind of baths, don't want to make the job harder by having to manoeuver heavy bath.

Sponsored Links
Don't even think of having a bath delivered mail order - bound to end up chipped or dented. Good plumbers merchants will deleiver no problem.

Personally I always fit steel baths. Go for a Kaldewei or Bette bath with steel legs.

Unless you pay a lot acrylic baths are too flexible and can give problems sealing around the edge.

From memory cheap ariston baths have plastic legs - avoid.

You should be able to get a Kaldewei for less than £79.00.

Manoeuvering standard weight steel baths is easy for me, plus steel cradle legs are strong and won't snap off like the cheapo plastic legs.

I recently fitted one of these Ariston baths, I thought it was great value and looked great with nice chrome taps etc etc

The family that I fitted it for wanted a steel bath as they live in a modern house with an acrylic bath.

They were/are over the moon, I was impressed at how well the legs fitted the bath and how very sturdy it is for the money.

They can also be purchased from PlumbBase for about £75 and also many small Plumbers suppliers appear to have them in stock.

I collected this bath in a 5 door hatchback....! :D

I've been telling everyone about these baths for months, I call them VFM. (Value For Money)

Hope this helps...... :D

Lightweight :rolleyes: Iused to have to carry cast iron buggers s upstairs like a bleedin` tortoise :eek: had some help tho` :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Stands to reason..... Ariston have already got all the presses they need to manufacture their white goods, so they're pressing these 'lightweights' up by the ship load.............. :D

& Makin A Great Job Of It...!

V F M :LOL:

Looks like you have to buy these baths in 2's from screwfix, so no good for me.
Will try plumbers merchants.

Thanks for all the replies

;) Little Plumb

Check the bottom is flat if you intend to use a shower over it. Many of the cheapies are too rounded. And don't use for showering if it has plastic legs, unless you organise some chunky timbers under it. Bette are a nicer shape to stand in.

Theres a shop on ebay who sell kaldewei baths for pretty cheap in most sizes. Check them out.

i can also suggest ebay i brought one for £69 from Here fast delivery and good quality.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back