Steel or Acrylic Bath?? Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
We are having our bathroom re-done, and am in a quandary about whether to purchase a steel or good quality (5mm) acrylic bath. We want a straight 1700mm bath, nothing fancy, just simple, clean lines for a contemporary look.

Our builder has re skimmed the walls (they were awful), and will be doing the tiling. We have used him before, and he has a high standard of workmanship. He says steel baths are much more superior, and won't move when you stand in them.
Our plumber, who we have also used on other projects, says a 5mm acrylic bath is fine, and he can put wooden battens around the wall for extra support. He says if you drop something in a steel bath, it will leave a chip.
Although this is the main bathroom in the house, it will not be used by us, as we have an en-suite shower. It will be used primarily for our teenage daughter, and when friends stay over. (And then mostly to stand in and use the shower over.) We therefore want something that will be sturdy enough for standing on, and not creak like our old one did.
We intend to stay in the house long term, so want to do this right the first time, and for it to last 15-20 years or so.

Any suggestions please on which type best suits our requirements??

Very many thanks,

Sponsored Links
I'd go for steel. Yes, it will chip if you drop anything heavy in it, but most people dont have anything heavier than plastic bottles in a bathroom. Follow the care instructions correctly and it should last a lifetime.

Cheap plastic baths always concern me, after seeing a young lady at A&E with nasty lacerations to her legs when the bath she was standing in gave way and her feet went through the bottom. The Fire and Rescue service had to attend to free the poor lass. :(

Acryilic bath is fine and a good quality one will be nice and thick and solid.
Once siliconed against a wall and allowed to dry nothing is moving it.
Ensure your floorboards are solid. As it doesn't matter what sort of
bath it is. If the flooring isn't solid they are all going to move.

Go for a carron carronite bath all the benefits of acrylic but with the rigidity of steel for the sake of a few quid more for something that will last you years its well worth it

Sponsored Links
I'd go with steel as well.

Let's be honest, anything heavy dropped into a bath will damage it be it steel or acrylic, and anything heavy enuf to damage a bath shouldn't be in there in the 1st place IMO :).
If that's a worry, I guess it's a toss up between repairing a chip - which is easily done with a repair kit - or having to replace the bath because of a crack in the acrylic.

For longevity then steel would be my choice.

Yup, you can chip or crack an acrylic bath as well. Your plumber is right, a properly installed decent acrylic bath shouldn't be moving really either.

The current one in our house doesn't nor did the one i installed in the old house. And some people prefer the feel of one over the other, cos of the different heat transfer rates I think.

However, I'm installing a steel bath in my current bathroom refit. The thing I really dislike about plastic baths is the way the plastic dulls with small surface scratches etc, over time no matter how carefully you clean it. Enamel is much harder wearing. And we are likely to be living in this house for some time yet

steel steel steel steel steel steel :)

Even if it does get chipped it's easier to repair the chip or even re-enamel the entire bath than it is to repair the gel coat on a plastic bath.

Go for a carron carronite bath all the benefits of acrylic but with the rigidity of steel for the sake of a few quid more for something that will last you years its well worth it

Another vote for carronite.

Steel is better but doesn't keep the heat in the same as plastic all baths move a little when installed due to the weigh added to it when full I would go steel or castalike (very thick plastic weights the same as cast comes with 25 year warrenty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back