Steel bath or acrylic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to get a new bath suite and don't know which to buy.

I want a bath that won't move much but I heard steel scratches.

If I get acrylic is there any that won't move much?

Also where is best to buy from? I want a cheap suite but decent quality

Sponsored Links
they'll both chip or scratch if you try. Go to a plumbers' merchnant. Look at the usual-armitage shanks, Ideal, and Twyford. And Kaldewei for steel.

You can get a good plain bath for about £150, or a bit less in steel.

If you go for acrylic, do NOT buy a 3mm one, as a min 5mm ideally an 8mm one, obviously expense goes up depending on the thickness. Also note this is from experience, I am not a plumber. Even with steel baths, don't go for the cheapest of cheap, cheap means exactly that.

I always found hot water in steel bath always seem hotter for longer peroid than plastic bath.

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
If you go for acrylic, do NOT buy a 3mm one, as a min 5mm ideally an 8mm one, obviously expense goes up depending on the thickness. Also note this is from experience, I am not a plumber. Even with steel baths, don't go for the cheapest of cheap, cheap means exactly that.

Where can I get thicker baths? I don't think I have ever seen the thickness stated

masona said:
I always found hot water in steel bath always seem hotter for longer peroid than plastic bath.

Not disputing, but I'm surprised by that.

heatherw_01 said:
Eddie M said:

Where can I get thicker baths? I don't think I have ever seen the thickness stated

Something like this http://www.bathstore.com/product_master.asp?code=10370

Not really a recommendation, but I think it's what I've got, seems OK, it's a steel bath BTW. WRT to acrylic baths, probably best to wait for a grown up to answer.

Eddie M said:
masona said:

Maybe the metal doesn't cool down as quick as plastic (?)

masona said:
Eddie M said:
masona said:

Maybe the metal doesn't cool down as quick as plastic (?)

I'd have thought the the conductive properties of the metal would make it cool down quicker :?: Similarly I'd have thought that a hot drink would stay hot longer in a plastic cup than a metal cup, but then theory and practise can often be different :D

I changed a steel bath to an acrylic one and, personally, found the acrylic one stayed hotter longer. This may have been because it was mounted against an external wall though and so the steel one tended to be a lot colder to start with. Also meant that when you got in the bath you'd be nice and warm, but then you'd lay back on the freezing cold bit that wasn't in the water.

Or rather, my wife did, which is why I had to change it.....

I'd go for steel anyday. stick some insulation under it if you've got a cold bum :p

plastic looks s**t after a few years - all those swirls and scratches. I'd swear those 8mm baths weigh more than cast iron bath!

htgeng said:
I'd go for steel anyday. stick some insulation under it if you've got a cold bum :p

plastic looks s**t after a few years - all those swirls and scratches. I'd swear those 8mm baths weigh more than cast iron bath!

Depends how abrasive your arse is dosen't it !! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back