New bath, used for showers, in rented flat -acrylic or steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a new bath into a rented flat. There is a stand up shower over the bath. It is a 3 bedded flat with one bathroom and I think the bath is used a lot for showers. I am limited by size as to the bath I can put in. I want a bath that is strong, will take abuse and, if possible, is easy to clean.

I have narrowed it down to 3 baths.

For steel, I've been looking at the Kaldewei saniform plus 1700 x 750. This has a 30 year guarantee.

For acrylic, my preferred option because of its shape, is the Ideal Standard Alto Idealform shower bath. This has a 25 year guarantee. This is about the only shower bath I can fit into the space. Here's a link to it:

http://www.bathrooms365.com/acatalog/Ideal_Standard_Alto_Idealform_Shower_Bath.html

The other acrylic option is the Carron quantum single ended bath 1700 x 750 in Carronite with a 30 year guarantee. Here's a link to it:

http://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/8711.htm

I have done some googling and so have found various opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of steel and acrylic. Some people say if you are using a bath for a lot of showering then it is better to get a steel bath as they are sturdier, but the current steel bath in the flat has been chipped, although this is probably a cheap steel bath. That's why I've been looking at strong acrylic baths.

The main thing putting me off the Ideal Standard bath is whether it is strong enough to take all the showering and the abuse it will no doubt get. I've found lots of positive views of Kaldewei and Carronite baths, but nothing about Ideal Standard Idealform baths.

The Kaldewei is tough and is the easiest to clean but is not as spacious inside the bath and may be prone to chipping, as with the current bath.

The Carronite bath is also tough but is the most expensive and on their website says it can be damaged by certain cleaning products and things like nail polish remover.

Can anyone give me any advice, particularly about Ideal Standard Idealform baths?

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
As it's a rented flat, the cheapest and easiest option may be to keep the same bath and just paint over the chipped areas with special paint for baths and radiators? Not sure if the current bath is beyond repair but if it is, maybe its an option?

Sponsored Links
I have a quantum carronite bath and there is absolutly no flex in it at all very sturdy would recommend it .
They are quite expensive but worth it, other down side is the panels are 100 quid on top of bath price

I have put some enamel paint on the chip in the existing bath but it is a slightly different shade and makes the bath look old - the current bathroom was put in 15 years ago. As I'm getting a good rent, I want to put in a new bathroom so it is attractive to the current and future tenants.

The reason I would prefer to put in the Ideal standard shower bath is because it will be a little more spacious for anyone having a shower. I can't put in a bath wider than 750 mm as the door frame is in the way. This shower bath widens to 800 mm and if I rehang the door so it opens outwards, there won't be an issue with the door hitting the side of the bath. My only worry is if it is good enough quality to cope with a lot of use and abuse. I'm guessing it must be reasonable quality as it has a 25 year guarantee, but I don't want to have to rely on the guarantee!

Does anyone have any experience of the quality and strength of Ideal Standard acrylic baths?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back