Are Surface water drains treated the same as Sewers when building over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can't seem to find a definite answer to this anywhere online, including my own water company. I have a straight run of 110mm underground pipe within my boundary which is for the gutters for a run of houses next to mine. We want to build an extension over this which will require a ring beam. The depth of the pipe is approximately 1500mm.

Will I need to apply for a build over agreement? Might be a stupid question but everything I can find in relation to build over agreement is technically mentioning sewers. Which I would have thought refers to water waste from sinks and toilets, not surface water.

Could anyone shed some light?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter what drains through but who's responsibility it is, if you're building within 3m of it if it's private a build over is not required if it's public it does.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back